Modding C series bezel w/McCapsule

cmassicotte

Newly Enlightened
I have two C series bezels that I would like to have modded with LED. I understand that the only way to mod a C series bezel is to use the McCapsule.

I also understand that you can use a LUX V or LUX III plus the approriate driver.

What are my best choices (combinations) to put this together (Well actually I would have one of the experienced modders do the work (and get the glory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Although I like the idea of the LUX V, I am thinking right off the top that it might not be a good choice. I can't imagine how to heat sink it, and I would like at least an hour or better or better run time on two 123s. Also do I have any choices for 3x123 batteries?

I am not wanting a "light saber" effect - these would be a "put away and forget" lights for general emergency use, probably close to medium range, i.e 25 to 50 yards max.

OR - and I am not being facetious here - might I be better served to sell the C series flashlights (I have all the parts) and use the money to get something like an ALEPH?

Thanks for your input

Chuck

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chuck,

IMHO, the C series doesn't really lend itself well at all to LED mods. If you want to stick with the C series, I think the KL3 or modded KL3 is your best choice. The McCapsule can be made to work but unless the labor in the mod is given to you at a great discount, you will end up paying more than the solution is worth and could most likely do better going with a different format. These are just my opinions based on personal experience. Not assuming that you would, but just in case, don't contact me about one of these mods. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chuck, not sure if you can wait, but I know someone who's going to be bringing in Lux1, Lux3, and Lux5 drop-in lamp replacements for Surefire lights. They're a third party conversion, not an official Surefire product. They look like a P60 lamp assembly, except they contain a Luxeon inside. No further info available. No pricing data available. Wouldn't mind picking up a Lux3 myself to play with. No idea about the control electronics either.

The guy is up to his eyebrows in work right now, so he's said he might look into it after Christmas or early next year.