pak-light vs. palight

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I have a Pac-lite and really like it. It has two output levels. I keep mine in my Shaving Kit so I have it when I travel....it's great for finding you way around dark unfamiliar dwellings. Put it on low power and you have a nightlight for the children.

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened
Funny, I did a search and couldn't find results for "Pak-Light". I was surprised that nobody here had discussed it. Just realized that it's spelled Pak-Lite! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Palight eLights (no longer made) in various LED colors. I think it's the most flexible of all their lights: high-power, low-power, strobe, SOS, soft "find in the dark" glow mode (switchable on and off). Very tight bright beam for a single LED light. Almost like an Inova X1 only with more "features". Removable lens for more spill. Also, mine came with white and red diffuser cones. Some places have the eLights and Survival lights on close-out sale now.

Niteowl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bookimdano said:....P.S. Flashlights - I think I just found a new hobby!

[/ QUOTE ]

ummmm....Can you say addiction?

I have a Pal elight and like it a lot. It sits on a shelf in the hall, glowing faithfully onto the ceiling. Great for checking the kids. It also travels with us as a night light for said kids. Don't care for the new design.

I've been eyeballing the Pak-Lite for a while, but I think it's over priced for what you get. If you're counting grams for backpacking, then maybe it's worth it.

Mark

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recieved my PALlight (workman and Survial) and I can say that they will be a very useful addition to my usable torchs, they are bright and they have a long runtime and with the constant on they are easy to see in the dark (so blind guys like me can't lose them)

Great lill light for 15 bucks (IMHO).

Doug

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pak-Lite was one of my first purchases when getting into LEDs since I always thought having to enclose the whole battery in another case took up unecessary space- you could just have a piece that snaps on. Its a good idea, and it works well, but that said, I do agree with Zelandeth and Nightowl- it is overpriced for a tiny piece of molded plastic and 2 5mm LEDs. I think $12 would be fair.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
I have both, I like that pak-lite better but I do not use either of them very much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have both, and agree. As I've said many times before, IMO the Pak-lite meets *it's* design goals far better than most. It is not designed to do some of the things some folks want, which is OK I guess. But for small, light and long run time 'it can't be beat'.

It should even appeal to many at other levels, it's US made, off grid, by a family. Works for me. Makes it more expensive, of course......

Funny how most of the nay sayers of this light don't own one......

Doug Owen

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I make use of my Palight every night! I use it's constant on function to illuminate my other real flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just kidding. But, it does make it a lot easier to see my other flashlights because it's pointed at them. I took the lens out and used a different lens for a wide flood light. The glow from the Palight is perfect for what I bought it for. Plus, it is still very usable for low light operations. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenLED

Flashaholic
You can also make your own 9v light using an old film canister (Kodak brand-style), a resistor, a switch, and a (or more) 5mm LED's. We made a couple to use as reading lights.