In Praise of Scotch "Matte Finish" Magic Tape

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
In Praise of Scotch \"Matte Finish\" Magic Tape

I had tried other brands of tape over the LEDs of various lights with minimal results. Found this type on the wife's wrapping table and gave it a try. My sickest light was the Shorelite Vx1, as the two or three other owners would surely agree. I was amazed how its angry blotchy beam was smoothed. Next was the Dorcy AAA. All the rings disappeared. Finally, I slapped some over the end of the X1 and that spot fuzzed out to an almost usable width. The tape is cutting the intensity, but in some cases I think it will be worth it.

Geoff

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: In Praise of Scotch \"Matte Finish\" Magic Tape

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
I had tried other brands of tape over the LEDs of various lights with minimal results.
The tape is cutting the intensity, but in some cases I think it will be worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used Scotch Magic tape over the 5 LEDs of an Xnova AA to try to minimize the strong extraneous side-emissions/halo - but found that the reduction in intensity too much for me - it reduced the Xnova AA which was significantly brighter than a regular Drocy 1AAA/Ultra-G/ArcAAA level to about the same intensity.

Also interestingly - I found that the diffusion was different along the length of the tape compared to across the tape -
examining the tape more closely I found that the tape achieved its matte finish using longitudenal lines........

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast

Try the "Satin" type Scotch tape.. Seems to work better -- doesn't appear to reduce the intensity as much as matte or Writeright.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Savon drug store near my house now has Scotch "Gift Wrap" Tape on a purple card. the side of the actual plastic tape container says "Scotch Satin Gift Wrap Tape". This appears to be exactly the same as my old roll of tape that's simply marked Scotch Satin Tape. This cuts quite bit less light output than the matte finish tape, but doesn't blur out rings in the beam as much as the matte tape. I'm willing to sacrifice some of the blurring effect for sake of preserving my lights' output.

seanb

Newly Enlightened

those of you in theatrical circles are easily able to obtain different types of plastic filters called "gels". though typically they are used to modify the colour of a light source, they also produce what are called "frosts" which soften the beam of an instrument. A sheet of 114, 119, or 132 from Rosco (a leading gel manufacturer) would probably suffice for a lot of you, and 132 is a very soft frost compared to scotch tape /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Also, heat resistant!

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gels (if they're real gels) tend to soften and dissolve if you get them wet. They are, as implied by the name, made from gelatin. I'd keep them off a light likely to see rain ro something.

I will have to try the tape on my Shorelight Vx-2 - the beam is pretty nasty on it. I do like the flicker-free output control though.

JLJ

Newly Enlightened

Thanks to all for the great tips. This is just what I like; cheap, easy, effective and easily undone. My Dorcy 1AAA just got a coat of tape--works like a charm!

JLJ

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Hey MikeLip. Please let us know how effective the tape is on your Vx2. I've been tempted to get one. Like you, I really like the variable light levels of Shorelites. The Vx2 seems to be on sale at GlowBug.

Geoff

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Flying Turtle said:
Hey MikeLip. Please let us know how effective the tape is on your Vx2. I've been tempted to get one. Like you, I really like the variable light levels of Shorelites. The Vx2 seems to be on sale at GlowBug.

Geoff

[/ QUOTE ]

It helped a *LOT*!!! I as astounded at how much better it was. The nasty hotspot and square reflector artifacts are gone! It's more of a pool than a beam, but I sure prefer it with the tape on it. Brightness is probably down a bit, but still pretty decent.