What is the best full side flashlight for police?

Alex_Barton

Newly Enlightened
Please post opinions on the best full size (ie. Pelican M11, rechargeable Mag, etc) for police use.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Ultra Stinger w/ an aftermarket NiMH battery pack... or a Tigerlight FBOP, has a pepper spray dispenser...

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What is the best full side flashlight for poli

FBOP doesn't have the pepperspray dispenser, thats what makes it an FBOP!

My favorite is still the MagCharger.

Bill

fivebyfive

Enlightened

Try the streamlight sl-20x or sl-20xp with the 10 watt bulb assembly. The streamlight line of rechargeables have been well tested in the field and have proven themselves worthy.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SL-20X comes with a 10W lamp. Get the SL-35X lamp assembly for the SL-20X; at 20W, it's an enormous upgrade. With 4Ah NiMH cells, you'll still get over an hour runtime. I have this setup with electronic flasher tailcap that allows variable dimming for up close work (ie reading a license) and a strobe flasher that's a real attention getter.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened

Sorry... my mistake about the FBOP...

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would say that the large rechargable SL's are indeed the most popular lights among Police Forces.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a similiar set up as Phaserburn, the only difference I have the SL-35X fitted with x5 "D-Cell" 9000mAH NiMH's a long with the digital Tailcap dimmer/flasher which is a real nice feature. If I was an LEO the Tailcap dimmer/flasher would really get a workout. Anyway, with the NiMH's I am getting around a 2.5 hour runtime.

When I really feel froggy I load up my SL-35X with x6 "C-Cell" 4500mAH NiMH's which I drive the 20watt Halogen with up to 8.75volts fresh off the charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KEW

Newly Enlightened

After 21 years of real life street experience, there is no doubt that the Streamlight SL-20 is the light. I still have my first SL-20 that will be 22 years old this May. It is still going strong. I have added about 100 flashlights to my collection since then. But when you need a light you can bet your life on it's the SL-20 for a duty light. I also carry either a SF 6P, Pelican M6, or Strion on my belt.

oklalawman

Enlightened

I have been a cop for now on 18 years. When I first started the SL20 or Magcharger were the light to have. They were dependble rechargable and bright. But since the smaller lights ie Stinger, Stinger Hp have come along the older ones are regulated to the car. The smaller lighter flashlight stays on my duty belt. It is never back in the car. They dont add nowhere the same amount of weight and basically I forget they are there. I have friends who have gine the surefire 8N route and some of the others. $25 to replace the bulbs which break often. Almost $100 for a new battery pack. Upgrade the stinger to a NIMH battery and you have a 4 hour (mfgs. claim)run time.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is there a good US source for a NiMH battery that will work in the Ultrastinger?

One hour just isn't enough, the size and throw of the Ultra are perfect for me.

beam_me_up

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
KEW said:
After 21 years of real life street experience, there is no doubt that the Streamlight SL-20 is the light. I still have my first SL-20 that will be 22 years old this May. It is still going strong. I have added about 100 flashlights to my collection since then. But when you need a light you can bet your life on it's the SL-20 for a duty light. I also carry either a SF 6P, Pelican M6, or Strion on my belt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd go with the updated version the SL20-XP it comes with backup LEDs which are not only useful for when your battery goes to low to throw the main 8 watt halogen bulb but for shining on things close up without blinding yourself with glare.

http://www.dtdistributors.com/stslledflacr.html

Samuel

Enlightened
Re: NiMH battery pack for US

Hey Guys,

For those of you who have replaced the stock battery pack with a NiMH, what are you using to charge the new battery pack? IIRC the stock battery charger is only designed to recharge NiCd packs and I've read that NiCd (only) chargers should not be used to charge NiMH batteries...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can usually use the stock charger. The problem is NiMH cells don't like to be left on a dumb charger to cook 24/7; Nicads don't mind. When not in use, I use a kitchen timer with the stock charger to "top off" my cells for 30 mins each day to make up for the 1-2% of self discharge NiMH have.

Samuel

Enlightened

PB, thanks for the reply! What kind of run time do you get with the NiMH battery packs in the US? I'm assuming that the stock charger is "strong" enough to fully charge the NiMH's?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

The charging current and voltage strength for Nicad and NiMH are the same. I don't have an US; I'm running an SL-20X w/35X lamp. In that setup, I get over an hour runtime; maybe 1:10. What is the current draw of the US bulb?

Samuel

Enlightened

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, I got them from a group buy. I believe they may be available elsewhere, but often involves a minimum unit purchase.