Whats a good flashlight for walking

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Which flashlight would be good for walking at night Streamlight Jr luxeon, Gerber LX 3.0 or Inova X5
I want a luxeon flashlight but one that is not to expensive

Size is also a cosideration, any suggestions?

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you would be quite pleased with the Streamlight Jr luxeon. It is regulated and puts out a nice flood, making for a nice walking lamp.

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
I second the SL JR LS.

You can also run it on NimH so if you are going to use it a lot, you will save money on batteries.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Whats a good place to buy it. I was going to buy the Streamlight Jr from Amazon but i heard good things about Brightguy.com. Which is better?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to Brightguy or some of the other dealers mentioned here. Amazon doesn't sell those products themselves but redirect you to a different dealer with his own shipping and return policy, and with shipping you usually end up paying more than going directly to a dedicated dealer.

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
I have to put my vote in for Brightguy.com.

The cheapest route is not always the best.
You can't beat the service that Greg gives. It's top notch.

I usually get my orders in 2 to 3 days.
They email you tracking information right away so you know whats going on with your order.
They also don't overcharge on shipping charges.

You can't go wrong ordering from brightguy.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say go with a UKE 4AA eLed... you get about 11 hours of regulated light output, and that'll save you lots of $ on batts already as it is! Its a luxeon and besides, Brightguy has them for $20 on special, can't go wrong there!!

junior

Enlightened
I personally use a Dorcy 2AA for walking. I live in the city and bright light is not really needed. However, when bright light is needed i use my SFG2.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Jr Luxeon sounds like a great light. If you are willing to use 123A batteries, you might check out the Sharper Image 1W LS light. About the same output, but smaller and more easily tucked into your pocket. Normal price is $30, but people (check the thread) have been getting them 2 for $20 each. Also the SF G2 is bright and inexpensive ($35).

You might also check out the dog walking threads for misc. walking at night safety issues. In particular, I'd consider a reflective vest to greatly improve your visibility.

Be safe.

-john

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to tie the dog walking threads together. Here are all the dog walking threads I know of:

Summary of Dog Walking Threads on the CPF Wiki

[Keywords: dog, doggie, doggy, blinker, reflective, night, walking, safety]
----------------------------------------------------------

scale-640x480.jpg

size-minimag-640x480.jpg

Last edited:

Ratso

Enlightened
I like the UK 4AA eLED, for its extended run time. If you are going to walk over an hour, you don't want the Steamlight Jr. to go out on you suddenly. The UK 4AA is larger and dimmer, but the large side spill due to its reflector make a good beam for walking. It still fits comfortably in a pocket due to its side by side flat design. Plus, its available in yellow, so it will be easier to find if you happen to drop it.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
in the winter i prefer a headlamp for walking so i can stay as streamlined as possible to try and hide from the bitter northern Maine winds... maybe you could take a look @ the Princeton Tec EOS. luxeon headlamp with three light levels. waterproof. regulated. takes alkaline, lithium, or rechargable AAA's. $30-something bucks.

but not everyone's as dorky as me and you probly don't wanna wear a headlamp. so out of the lights you mentioned, i'd go with the Gerber LX 3.0 over the Streamlight Jr luxeon and Inova X5(T). runs for a long time with good floodlight, and the 3-AA set up is one of my favorite form factors for outdoor work and general use. the Jr luxeon doesn't have enough runtime and the X5(T) doesn't have enough brightness (unless you're in the middle of the woods away from any light pollution). i think the LX 3.0 goes for $30-$40 bucks.

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I would also vote for the Gerber LX3.0. I have both the SL Jr and LX 3.0 and think both lights are great, but the Gerber puts out more light.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
What are your opinions on the Gerber LX 3.0 Its a 3 watt led. Is it a better deal than the 1 watt led Streamlight jr?

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
What are your opinions on the Gerber LX 3.0 Its a 3 watt led. Is it a better deal than the 1 watt led Streamlight jr?

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for the UK4AAeLED, and yet another vote for Brightguy. I recently purchased one of these from him, and the transaction was smooth, and shipping was quick. I like the UK4AA mainly because of it's regulated circuitry. 10-12 hours of constant brightness, plus since it's plastic, it won't feel as cold to your hands on those chilly nights.

RH

Enlightened
I know you are looking at luxeon's but may I humbly suggest you consider the Strion? It is a rechargeable incandesent and it has replaced my L4 as my walking light. I like the throw and spill of the adjustable beam and the fact that it can be recharged in the cradle.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the SL JR. Luxeon and the Gerber LX 3.0. I use the SL for "civilized" walks on the street, and recently had a great experience using the LX 3.0 out in the country, where more light was needed traipsing through the fields and woods. The LX 3.0 puts out a very large and bright flood (check FlashlightReviews.com and you'll see the high total output rating on the LX 3.0).

shabbasuraj

Newly Enlightened
I know none of these are on your list but how about the Costco brand of 1 Watt Luxeon Flashlight.

2 lights for under $28 USD. (plus Tax).

Runs on 2 AA batteries. Cheap. Luxeon lottery aplies here though.

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
The Gerber LX 3.0 is out of stock at brightguy.com till after Xmas so i might go with the Streamlight Jr athough the LX 3.0 is very tempting with that strong light output.