Two Stage Swithchs for Streamlight Jr. Lux?

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never read anything about a two or more stage switch for the Luxeon Jr. Lux in this forum. Does one exist? If not, anyone know why?

I'd like a two power level 1w lux led light that's preferrably two AA, but two CR123 would be acceptable. I'd also perfer for it to be less than 7" long with a bezal of 1.25" or less. The Nuwai 2 power 1w is way too long and flashlightreviews.com gave it only a one star rating because of a design flaw.

I'd prefer to pay less than $50.00 for the light.

Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way I understand it, the typical two-stage switches that incorporate a resistor for the low mode work best on lights that have a moom mode as part of their electronics. Apparently, the Streamlight Jr. doesn't have a moon mode and won't work well with these switches.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I think you're right about the electronics in the existing SL Jr. Luxeon; however, it should be possible to re-design the circuitry for a new 3W light. That would likely be necessary anyway, since the 1W light already gets fairly warm when run for 10 minutes or so.

One brightness level in a 3W light would not be as appealing to me. With no ambient light at night, a 3W light at full brightness at less than 3 feet or so would be too bright, dazzling your eyes and temporarily impeding your ability to see objects at medium and long distance.

Streamlight already makes the two level Tasklight 2L Luxeon III using 2 x 123A cells, so it shouldn't be that difficult to accomplish.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_tasklight_2l.htm

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two stage output? Are you crazy?

Why do you think all of us carry two (or more) lights at all times? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though... I honestly think that the reason most light manufacturers don't offer more two stage or variable output lights is that would cut into their other light sales. A couple such examples would be Gerber Trio/Infinity Ultra and the Inova XO/X1.