KL-1 thoughts + runtime + vs KL-4

MrMom

Enlightened
I searched the posts to find a runtime listing on the new KL-1 and couldn't find one. Surefire's included flier lists the run at 4 hours BUT the literature included with the NEW KL-1 states that it is a 1 watt LED. We know that it is a LuxIII.

Side by side with a KL-4, the KL-1's hot spot is brighter and throws further. As reported in other threads, there is little side spill. Side spill is there, it's just very weak. I think that the lack of a strong side spill is a strength. You know...the right light for the right job. In a complex + busy 3D enviornment bright spill light from let's say a KL-4 will reflect back off the complex enviornment to the users eyes in effect severly blinding the user to everything beyond the close up. Let's say that you are hiking through the woods and want to see what is down the trail. Do you pull out a KL-1 or a KL-4? The KL-1 will light far and reach down the trail and shed just enough side spill to walk by. On the other hand a KL-4 would flood the area with soo much short range light in which the reflections off of trees, shrubs, etc would blind the user to everything beyond the close up. After extensive testing on trails, I have concluded that a beam pattern similar to what a KL-1 produces is best.

My EDC has been a KL-4. To evaluate a KL-1 in real life situations I began to carry both a KL-1 and KL-4 at work. As a facilities manager I often inspect building mechanics. Testing both lights on my power distribution equipment ( a large room full of HV to LV transformers and switching eqipment ) I find that the light from a KL-4 will give a good overview but lacks in providing detail to a specific spot in this 3-D enviornment due to the blinding reflections. The KL-1 provides superb illumination to a specific point deep within the 3-D structure but requires panning to sense the whole picture. In narrow passages such as in an evelator shaft, the KL-1 excells. On the other hand at home in my basement and back yard the KL-4 works best.

I believe that there is too much emphasis on side spill. Perhaps this preferance is based on the users specific uses. Do most users evaluate their lights based on walking the dog in city lights? I love a flood but it is not appropiate in all situations.

To sum it up, The KL-1 has it's place. It is an expert at providing what it does best.

I guess that my idea light for all situations would be e2 in size that would vary in brightness as a U2 and could vary the focus between the beam pattern of the KL-1 and the KL-4. Untill then, as the CPF motto goes; "Buy them both", I'll say use them both.

Now off to the run times... both were loaded with a Pila 168s @1400ma fresh off the charger and they were fired up.

KL-1: 1 hour 38 minutes
KL-4: 54 minutes

This post will not be edited for spelling,

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, precisely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you don't mean to tell me there are people who only carry ONE light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

They haven't figured out how to control beam focus on a reliable basis yet (a particular kind of twist-bezel focus still leaves a lot to be desired), so till then, that's why we carry multiple lights.

My initial evaluation of the KL1 was that it wasn't for my specific needs, but I noted that it would be very good for looking into small places where the sidespill reflecting off the object would blind you. I found myself using a 3rd-generation KL1 to look into a keyhole (actually a door handle hole - the handle fell off and we were trying to fix it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif), the sidespill was blinding. A KL1-4thgen would be perfect to aim right into the thing.

I tried looking down my own throat in a mirror just for fun and since I had a sore throat that day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif, the KL1-4G works great for that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif doc had better stop wavin' that 2D stick in mah face.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Besides, you can always diffuse a throw beam whereas you can't 'shape' a flood beam. The closest thing to variable focus would be the beamshaper for the KL1.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
interesting thoughts, thankks.

my preference for beam style is still evolving.
yet, i keep coming back to the "low dome with nx01 or nx05".

the nx01 provided a kind of fat spot, while the nx05 makes a floody beam, which is moderately weighted to center. it is a very smooth transition with no "abrupt" spot.

but...maybe i need to take another look at spot beams.

Bob

scuba

Enlightened
Great post MrMom. I actually find myself using my Kl-1 more and more. It really does grow on you...

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too, I use my KL1 all the time, in fact its my EDC with an E2e body running 2xR123s! All this because I can't afford a KL4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif, so I'm sure I don't NEED one... right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
A spot beam is useful in situations where ur surroundings are lit up by ambient light and you need to light up a single dark spot

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a surefire yet, but I was interested in this option specifically. When I need to use a flashlight around other people I always use my inova X1 because there's no sidespill or glare. How do the two compare in amount of sidespill?