What Blew up over China?

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
They were probably just testing a bomb or something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The geminid meteor showed peaks tonight, it's not at all uncommon for some earth grazers to actually detonate and explode. Happens every year somewhere. Sometimes people even get some amazing photographs of it.

No idea if that is what it was, but it's a possibility at this time anyway.

Stefan

Enlightened
Explosion over China was apparently caused by a meteorite entering the atmosphere.
meteorite.jpg

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember a few years ago a meteorite hit ground in the southwest suburbs of Chicago. I think people were selling chunks of it on ebay, but I'm not sure.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't remember how you do it, but I remember there was a science project that allowed you to "collect" meteorite dust in a pan of water or something. It was something I heard about in grade school. Anyone else remember?

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Collecting microscopic bits of metorite should be no problem. The stuff is raining down on us all the time. In fact I have heard that the second largest component of household dust (behind human skin particles) is meteorite particles. The trick is finding a big chunk. Scientists look for them in Antarctica because they are out of place on top of miles of ice.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
last night i was on my way home from somewhere, and as i was driving along a big streak of light splayed across my windsheild.

it was only a split second, but something had apparently fallen out of the sky. it looked like a glowing golfball, and had a bright tail that only lasted for a second, but the interesting thing was that the tail didn't look straight, it looked kind of squiggley.
it was impossible to tell how far away it was, whether it was the size of a football or the size of a state, or what direction it was going...

never seen anything like that before...