Mice's ---- Wirelees or Wired?

jtice

Flashaholic
Mice\'s ---- Wirelees or Wired?

I am in the process of making a list of computer parts for my new system I plan to build shortly after xmas.

One of the things I am thinking of getting, is a new mouse.
I need something with a few extra buttons, for navigations etc.

I have had both wired optical mice, and wireless optical mice.
My Wireless mouse seems to work fine, I cant really tell if there is any lag or delay in it, but I hear that if I plan to do any gamming, I should never get a wireless mouse.
Only problem I have had with my wireless, is that it ate batts.

I dont need to be far way from the computer really, I just really like having NO drag from the cord.
Even if the cord isnt catching on something, you still feel alittle drag from it.

So, what do you guys thing, is wireless a NO NO for gamming?

What do you recommend for either catagory?
If I go wired, I was thinking abotu this one.
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=26-104-151&DEPA=1

Thanks

~John

jtice

Flashaholic
Re: Mice\'s ---- Wirelees or Wired?

I have also been thinking about getting a media controller also.
I have seen alot of nice controllers, Sabby pointed one out to me, but I cant remember what it was, Hopefully he will see this post, and post a link to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I do alot of music/movie/video editing, so media control is very important to me.
A seperate media controller would be nice, but, If I go wireless, I think I might have to go with this mouse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=26-104-168&DEPA=1

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had/have several sets of wireless combos from Logitech. No complaints at all. I'm not a serious gamer, but didn't ran into any problems because of the mouse. The newer ones do not eat batteries as much anymore; in my current set (2 yrs old) I still use the original Duracells in the keyboard, and have to change the ones in the mouse every 3-4 months (alkalines). Supposedly the battery status also works quite good with the new Logi drivers; can't comment on that, since I don't use Logi drivers (I use a laptop, and use the original driver, so that the Logi mouse works when plugged in; when unplugged, the normal mousepad is activated for working abroad).

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I personally hate wireless mice. They always get flaky and require resetting or battery changes.

Then again, I generally use trackballs anyways. Why move your wrist when you can just move your finger? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've used my Logitech wireless mouse every day for the past 3 years without a single malfunction or adjustment but I do need to change batteries about every three weeks.

I'll never go back to a corded mouse.

Reptilezs

Enlightened

the 510 is a good choice if you want wired but if you want cordless get the mx700

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mice\'s ---- Wireless or Wired?

Had a few different ones thruout the years but the Logitech MX700 was the first one suitable for gaming. It was just as fast as any corded one I had. My only complaint was that it would not go more then five days before I'd have to put it on the charger stand to recharge it. Then after a year and a half one of the spring charging terminals became very weak so it didn't really like to make contact to charge the mouse. As it had a five year warranty, the good folks at Logitech sent me an MX1000 for a replacement, the laser one mentioned. It is just as fast if not faster then the MX700 but best of all, in a week's time the built in battery meter is still at three bars. Reviews say it will go over three weeks with a charge.

It is the Cadillac of mice but it carries a Cadillac price.

nexro

Enlightened

The "Fast RF" on Logitech mice is really a plus factor. But battery comsumption wise, you will have to recharge your mouse every 3 days or so (depending on how often you use it). I own the older MX700 and been using it for over a year. No problem with games like Counter-Strike and Doom3. However, I got sick of having to recharge it everytime.

I much prefer my Microsoft Desktop Elite set now (wireless keyboard and mouse). The batteries last about 6 months. I have used the mouse for over 5 months and the original batteries that came with the mouse is still ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Best of all, the MS mouse is also lighter and more ergonomic (personal preference). The MS mouse also works with ONE AA battery although you are required to put both in.

Bravado

Newly Enlightened

I have a wireless keyboard and mouse from Microsft that performs better than any corded ones that I've ever owned.

Cords Suck!

Saaby

Flashaholic

*Every* mouse in this house is Logitech optical. I kid you not.

2xOptical Wireless
1xOptical Wired
1xMX700
1xLogitech Keyboard
1xWireless Optical Trackman

I use a Wireless Optical notebook for work, and my dad uses a wireless optical.

We're a Logi-family. Wireless is nice, do it and do the MX1000.

The media controller I use is this one.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like I said, the MX1000 will go over three weeks before needing a charge. It's got a three bar battery meter too so unlike the MX700 and it's low battery blink, you'll have plenty of warning. However it has I believe a Li-ion battery which from looking over the mouse, doesn't appear to be user replaceable.

[ QUOTE ]
nexro said:
The "Fast RF" on Logitech mice is really a plus factor. But battery comsumption wise, you will have to recharge your mouse every 3 days or so (depending on how often you use it). I own the older MX700 and been using it for over a year. No problem with games like Counter-Strike and Doom3. However, I got sick of having to recharge it everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]

nexro

Enlightened

For the price of the MX1000, one could get a MS desktop set on Amazon. Besides, 6 months is equates to 24 weeks. Also, performance wise, it's really not worth the price. I prefer to get more lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

E

EchoSierraTwo

Bluetooth. Bluetooth is where its at. I feel pretty secure once paired, I can now use it when going to bank websites and stuff. 128 bit encription. I dont think that other wireless protocals can offer the same security.

Gaming? stick with wired. I use an optical trackball for Ghost Recon, Battlefield *.*, Doom3, Far Cry, Call of Duty, etc.

Bluetooth. Yeah Bluetooth.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I use a corded logitech trackman marble optical trackball.... it sits in one place so the wire never moves, just my thumb.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wireless is king baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Logitech makes the best as far as I'm concerned. I mouse constantly all day long from dawn to dusk. The rechargeable logitechs are the best mice I've ever owned (apart from the corded logitechs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )drop it in the charger when I pack up for the night and it's never missed a beat.

If you've got a blue tooth capable machine get that one. I have heard some people have bluetooth issues of having to reconnect to it and such on some operating systems. I have the regular USB model and am very happy.

i have owned probably 20 different mice in the last 10 years. This mx700 is the best. The fast RF too is fantastic, there really is no difference between this and a corded one as far as speed is concerned.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0. It uses 2x AA batteries but interestingly(i'm impressed), can run off 1x AA if you are short of one. With 2x AA Energizer, the batteries last 6 months(true for me) of HEAVY usage(8-12hours daily). The distance of the receiver and the mouse is 50cm.

I bought the mouse in October 2003. After original set of Energizer alkalines, I use a single 8 years old GP 700mAh AA NiCd to save weight. The reduce in weight cause less fatigue and slides better on my black icemat.

Right after the warranty period, the mouse refuse to work with the black icemat. I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. The optical tracking just skips when move my mouse slowly. That only happens vertically on the x-axis.

I put aside the Icemat and bought a AUD$10 1mm thin polycarbonate mousemat. Which works 100x(not boasting) better as in smoother, quiet, non mousefeet shaving, no teflon tape required, no noisy surface, does not form dog ears at corners, washable, does not collect foreign items. Better than any mousepad I have ever used. Think of 3M mousing surface with smooth factor of 10x. The lifespan is unknown since I only used it for a month but it doesn't seem to have any wear yet. I am a heavy user to say this.

Ok sorry this post is about wireless mouse not mousepad I got too carried away.

So to add another advantage, the thing about this mouse is that it discharge your AA battery to 0.9volts and your mouse will refuse to work. Which is very good for me and my NiCd because 1.0volts is the sweet spot for a discharged NiCd. My 8 years old NiCd will run for 3 weeks in a single AA configuration, after a full charge.

The downside is, short transmission range. The range is like a length of a normal mouse wire. So on one hand you are as free as wireless but your range is limited. There's no desktop docking for charging the mouse, gotta take the battery out and so on.

I have used this mouse since October 2003 and never have the software installed. I am a minimalist, efficient software programmer and resource conscious person. So I think any extra software than the mouse driver is bloat. I don't care about buttons that can do magical commands or monitor my battery every single day. As long as I can set mouse speed and it is smooth and moves accurately from pixel to pixel I am happy. Plus the extra forward and back buttons works in my Mozilla Firefox.

Sorry I don't have a logitech mouse to compare with but I am pretty sure once you go wireless you won't go back. Just don't get those elcheapo infrared wireless mouse.

Vince.

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast

Koala: your Intellimouse, like most of the models, actually uses the batteries in paralell. that way they last much longer. or, use 1 and it still works!

neg

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

neg - have you open up the mouse before? I am pretty sure it's not parallel when I look at the circuit traces.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast

I managed to find an MX1000 for $69 CAD... or about $58 USD. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've also had the MX700 - and I would personally rate those higher than the Intellimouse Explorer 2.0, having had those as well. The Explorer 3.0's aren't bad either, but I personally like my Logitech more.

And yes, this IS fast enough for gaming, which was not the case for my Explorer 2.0 - that thing dragged a lot.