Regulated HID using LVR??

Kiu

Enlightened
Anyones know if I can use the Willie Hunt's LVR in the HID application?
I am a happy owner of Mag HID (8AA version). As I know the output wattage of the HID is mainly dependent on the input woltage, so it will be awesome if I can use a suitable typr of LVR set at a specify like ~11v.

pyro

Enlightened
Interested as well.
i think it wouldn´t work properly because the LVRs
don´t put out stable DC.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
HID's are already regulated by the ballast. There would be no point in trying to regulate the voltage going into the ballast and the LVR wouldn't be able to do it anyway since it puts out weird DC.

Kiu

Enlightened
Thanks reply~

Then I think I should forget about this.
I have this question is just because I read someone can boost his 2xLi-ion votlage to feed the hid.

pyro

Enlightened
The 10 watt solarc ballasts are not regulated.
with less voltage the light output drops.
a constant voltage driver is needed, i am sure
that something like this already exists

airman

Newly Enlightened
I asked Willie about this a few weeks ago and he indicated, just as pyro suggests that the LVR does not put out dc... which is what the HID needs. You need a dc-dc converter for a fixed voltage output from a variable battery input...

Good Luck

airman

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend a dc-dc converter rather than a linear regulator since the linear regulator will only step the input voltage down...

Kiu

Enlightened
Thx airman,

Also, Do you know where can I find a dc-dc converter with specified output voltage? Thankyou~

airman

Newly Enlightened
I use Digikey for most of my stuff. Try looking for V-Infinity on the Digikey site and see if they have one that meets your requirements. I'm using the VBEB15 and its good for my needs...

www.digikey.com

Cheers