Lux III - 3W or Not?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thought I read that Lux III's are not 3 watt LED's but are an improved, more robust version of the original Luxeon (1). Given that some manufacturers and CPFers keep refering to the Lux III as being a 3 watt LED I'm left in a dark, dazed, and confused state of mind. I will appreciate any light shed upon this subject. Thank you.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon III Star driven to specs: forward voltage 3.7 V, forward current=0.7..1 A. 3.7*0.7=2.59W, 3.7*1=3.7W.

Forward voltage might also vary from 3.03..4.47W. Depending on the brightness you want to get, the LED might require 2W..4.5W, with ~3W is a good typical value.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Luxeon III is just a name, with 'approximately' 3W power consumption - a VERY broad range, too, since some LuxIIIs are driven as low as 1W, or as high as 4.5W depending on how much power its owner wants to feed it.

It's easier if you think of it as just a product name to denote the descendants of the Luxeon I.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
This subject has been beat to a very thorough pulp.

Like all power specs, the reality depends on whatever is actually going on with the product in-use.

There are subtle mechanical differences, but ultimately it seems to boil down to a 2 C/W difference in thermal resistance, widely-reported better tint quality with the LuxIII, and vague suggestions from Lumileds that the 1W part really shouldn't be run past 350mA.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, Idle, I suppose that I should be beaten to a pulp for not making a more thorough search.

Thanks, Lunal, for the link. This explains what I've observed, which runs counter to some manufacturer's product package claims. But, hey, I'll take a QIII even if it's just a better bin.

Thanks for the replies, Guys (I'm assuming again.).