Is this normal for a Surefire M4?

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
I bought a M4 about a month ago and to tell the truth haven't really played with it much because I've been busy.

I finally got around to really examining it tonight and there is something that appears to be wrong with the bezel assembly. The reflector simply won't seat itself evenly inside the bezel. When fully assembled, you can see a pretty large gap between the reflector and where I think it should be seated inside the bezel on one side only. The other side of the reflector seats right up to the inside edge of the bezel where I presume it should be seated. I guess the shock isolated design allows for some reflector movement, but it seems to me that if the reflector is seated unevenly, you won't cast a very good beam.

The beam itself is flawed. The hotspot is nowhere near centered and the beam is not round nor is the light evenly dispersed. I have to say the beam is closer to what I would expect from a light purchased at Walmart than from a Surefire. It's not even in the same ballpark as my other Surefires(L2,C3)as far as the quality of the beam it casts.

The real question is has anybody else had this happen and is there an easy fix or should I call Surefire customer service? I've tried everything I can think of including replacing the HOLA with the LOLA and also turning the reflector itself to see if that would help. No luck with either.

Thanks for any help,

chasm22

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm thinking perhaps your TurboHead is not correctly seated on it's shock isolating Neoprene foam.
There is movement - I suggest you try and move the reflector around to see if you can even it up:
P80.jpg

I've never had any problems moving the reflectors around like this.

I took this Lexan version through some pretty harsh abusive use - this shows that the Neoprene ring and reflector should be centred and even relative to the Bezel housing (parts of it have been removed for this photo):
P82.jpg

I urge you not to attempt to disassemble your TurboHead.

Al

chasm22

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
I'm thinking perhaps your TurboHead is not correctly seated on it's shock isolating Neoprene foam.
There is movement - I suggest you try and move the reflector around to see if you can even it up:
P80.jpg

I've never had any problems moving the reflectors around like this.

I took this Lexan version through some pretty harsh abusive use - this shows that the Neoprene ring and reflector should be centred and even relative to the Bezel housing (parts of it have been removed for this photo):
P82.jpg

I urge you not to attempt to disassemble your TurboHead.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al;

I took a closer look at this whole bezel unit this morning and I think I missed the real problem; The reflector doesn't appear to be perfectly round. From the way it looks to me it has a slightly oval shape. This would account for the distinctly ovalish shape of the beam and probably explains why the reflector will not stay centered within the neoprene. I didn't and won't try to disassemble the turbohead for a closer examination. I'll let Surefire do that.

Thanks again,

Chuck