Post office - Geez. .

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A week ago, I ordered a new knife from someone in Michigan, about 100 miles North of me. Not a sword or anything, just a stout knife that would fit into a padded envelope. On Saturday, I ordered some lazers from Arnold in Washington, more or less on the other side of the country. The lazers showed up yesterday, 2 days from the point of order. The knife still hasn't arrived, but I understand it's at the post office.

Boy, I'll be happy when you can physically recieve things over the internet. .

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same. My BOB, some lights, and two radios have disappeared into the ether.

Not only that, the queue at the PO is around 5X as long as it usually is and the parking lot is madness (I had someone come down from his vehicle, bang on my window in a traffic jam.. what a sicko, thankfully road rage laws here are REALLY tough on the first person to lift a finger).

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My local PO decided it would be cool to

A) Put up a gate so you can't pull through from one side to the other. .

B) Park their own personal vehicles in the area where you'd turn around.

The parking lot is too small for the traffic they recieve, and it's far too narrow for anybody not driving a moped. But I'm on my way over there in a little while anyway. .

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a brand new PO near me (literally opened 2 days ago).

The old PO is still open but that PO had mail pickup at 2:15 and 3:30 PM.

The new PO has mail pickup at 3 AM, 9 AM, 3 PM and 9 PM. Certainly a more aggressive schedule.

Why couldn't the old PO have the same pickup times as the new one? That PO has been there for 20 years with no change in pickup times.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I have it good living in a small town. Maybe there's a few people in front of me when I go, but never a long wait. I think the longest I've waited in line has been about 5 minutes. And everyone who works there has been real pleasant to deal with. I've only lost 1 package a couple years ago, but that may have been stolen from my outside my front door. I asked them to just hold all packages at the Post Office if it won't fit in my locking mailbox supplied by my apartment complex. I haven't had a problem since.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off to stand in line with 60+ people today! Gonna add to the festive WAITING line, I've got eight packages to ditch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
[ QUOTE ]
Big_Ed said:
I guess I have it good living in a small town. Maybe there's a few people in front of me when I go, but never a long wait. I think the longest I've waited in line has been about 5 minutes. And everyone who works there has been real pleasant to deal with. ....

[/ QUOTE ]
I live in a small town and have rural delivery (box by roadside). But my store is in a real small town, population <200, no mail delivery, free PO boxes, 1 person working, usually the PostMaster, hopefuly we will keep it and it won't get downsized /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . The 'hardship' of going and getting mail is more than made up for by seeing friends and catching up on the 'latest'.
Oh and having the PostMaster available to answer questions about International shipping etc. is great. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

BTW the Postmasters of the town I get mail in and the town my store is in are husband and wife. Talk about small town /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Both are longterm PO'ers who have put time in tougher locations and will probably spend 10-20 years more in their current positions.
Hardship this past summer though when they were riding a motorcycle together and hit a deer. They were only out for a few weeks but what a scramble to cover for them.