hdtv faq please

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok im back at dads and he got a sony 57 inch wide hdtv ready tv.ok he uses a hdtv cable box from cable company..
at first he just had the coax type cable got to hdtv cable box.and then had a coax cable go from hdtv cable box to tv.inew this was worst optiojn.so i used componet video cable to go from hdt cable box to tv.the type that has 3 cables just for picture..i assume tats best option?
also i used same cable to go from dvd player to tv..is that best? also does a dvd player have higher video then the tv can pruduce do i turn the progresve scan on for the dvd player.this is the tv by the way
sony kp 57ws520
has a aweume pic so far but i will apecahe alll hints i want to help dad get it going watched irobt on it today man it blew me away

raggie33

*the raggedier*
opps ps where in the world do ya put ya stuff such as cable box and dvd player he a course used to just place em on top but this tv is way bigger but oddly enough has no room on top.and his wife my step mom a course wants it to look nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

BF Hammer

Enlightened
I believe that the best connection is DVI if available. That is the same connector that PC video cards have for making a pure digital connection to LCD monitors. The component video connectors you used were the best analog connection option.

As I remember when I wired up my friend's HDTV system last year, there was a DVI input on the TV monitor, but none of his other video devices had a DVI output connector so I used component (3 plug) connectors when available, S-video on the others.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
dang i dont think it has that conection the cable box does tv dont.but this isnt plasma its proection rear..o also the lower end chanlels like 2 to 99 come in bad like it has bad attenna. i think cable has weak conection from cable company? the hdtc chanels come in aweume specily the ones that only show hdtv programs

udaman

Banned
Raggie,

Wish I had the money for HDTV (then I 'd have plenty enough for all kinds of flashlights, LOL). DVD (until a year or two from now when expensive HDV DVD discs come out) is limited to about 500lines resolution. HdTV comes in two resolutions, and there are continuing debates as to which format is better. 720p (progressive, frames) and 1080i (interlaced fields). Can't help you with connections because I forget which is better for what. But it would be easy to register for one of the audio-video forums and ask newbie questions, or check their FAQ's there.

Best HD I have seen is from the 1080p 24p (1080lines resolution in progressive mode, and shot at 24 frames per second like theatrical films) Sony CineAlta v3?. Sony has a new CineAlta movie camcorder at $120k that does 2k line resoltion (newest StarWars movie done with that, 1st Starwars Epi2, all digital HD, was pretty bad compared to film quality, IMHO) and Panavision (famous movie film camera company) has newly annouced digicam called the Genesis, which is also 2k resolution. Discovery Channel uses 1080i; while 720p, because it's progressive scan, does better with fast motion, so ABC and ESPN broadcast in 720p for sports-- captured with Panasonic's $75k Varicam HD camcorders.

But there is experimental 'ultra-definition' which will have the same or better resolution as the best 70mm film, being shown at the NHK Japanese research center. Sometime in the future we shall have IMAX resolution digital movies in theaters, maybe later in home theatres too.

It will take you off of CPF for a few weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but you can read up on tweaking---beginner to way advanced levels, your audio-video systems at these sites.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/masterindex_essays.html

Warning: forum below is gigiantic compared to CPF, most users online, nearly 3,000! You could get lost in audio/video black hole, and never come back to CPF, hehe.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

If CPF's is still around a few years from now, perhaps Raggie's T1 connection to his home based server box will have a HD camera broadcasting live pics of a ferret, lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/open2003/en/tenji/index.html
http://www.nhk.or.jp/strl/open2004/en/tenji/index.html

Oh ya, I forgot; to make your father's HDTV/surround sound system work at it's best, he will of course need an audiophile grade power cord to plug into the wall, they only cost about $750 or so, LMAO check them out!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BF Hammer said:
I believe that the best connection is DVI if available. That is the same connector that PC video cards have for making a pure digital connection to LCD monitors. The component video connectors you used were the best analog connection option.

As I remember when I wired up my friend's HDTV system last year, there was a DVI input on the TV monitor, but none of his other video devices had a DVI output connector so I used component (3 plug) connectors when available, S-video on the others.

[/ QUOTE ]

HDMI (High-Def Multimedia Interface) is the latest in the parade of new digital interfaces. It uses the same signalling (transition minimized differential signalling) as DVI for the video, but it also has conductors that carry Dolby digital audio. Only the newest cable boxes have a HDMI output, and only the newest sets have the matching input. HDCP copy protection seems to be a little pickier on HDMI than DVI.

The lowest common denominator for HD is the analog YPrPb cluster. Virtually every cable HD box provides those outputs and I've only seen one HD set that didn't have YPrPb inputs. Makes a good picture, and in some cases the analog and standard-def digital channels look better on the YPrPb input.

Confused? Get in line! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
HDMI will give the best picture if both devices are completely compatible. Component works just fine to. I'm using component video between my HD Tivo and Mits WS-55809. The 55809 doesn't have a HDMI connector. I'm also using component on my DVD player. You'll get a very nice bump in picture quality over S-Video if you use component video and turn on the DVD players progressive scan.

Since that TV is a rear projection set you'll need to be aware of a few things. Once the TV has about 100 hrs of use on it you'll want to get someone who is good at setting them up to come and tweak it. This will greatly increase the picture quality beyond anything you can imagine. All of the TVs of this type need some specialized tweaking for them to look their best. You can do it yourself but you'll need to buy a DVD with video test patterns on it.

Also, I'd highly recommend that you reduce the contrast and brightness to the midpoint on the adjustment range or below if you can stand it. Tube based rear projection TVs suffer from "burn in" which is where a static image like the logo from your favorite channel becomes burned into the phosphors on the tubes and will forever be visible. The same goes for using it with your game console or PC, DON'T DO IT! The brighter you have it set the faster the burn in occurs. Channels like the History channel have very bright logos that will burn the screen. Ones like CBS and others that are very light and you can see through are much less damaging. The text crawls on CNN and such are VERY bad as are the static score boxes on the sports channels. I'm not saying to never put the TV on those channels but be aware that you'll need to keep an eye on it and not let static images sit in the same spot for long periods of time.

Ok, I'm done preaching.

Chris

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Well said, Chris. That burn-in is the same reason why you can often read the opening menu on an ATM screen even when the machine is off or broken.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i dont understand that burn on thing. well at least i got him off the coaxil hook up i new that my self. i couldnt belive how cool the irobot movie was on this tv.i never saw a tv this big before.when i go home ill be sad at my tv ..ok the tv does have a hdmi conection but cable box dont ..opps reread post i see burn on best dont have brihtness to high i didnt adjust it at all.but it seems low ill amybe lower it..if im still here i get to watch the huricanes game on it.im aloowed to watch it when ever i want but im busy with real mom.and etc etc.thanks for all the info i know very little anout hdtv and my dad knows less.he almost got plasma but i forget why he didnt

Chris_Medico

Newly Enlightened
I've been very careful with my Mits. So far no burn in (4.5 yrs). I've recently had to perform my first repair (convergence ICs which is pretty common for most of these sets). Trying to get my GF not to watch the same channel all day with a bright logo has been a challenge. She is big into exercise and watches the fitness channel a bit. It has a large obscene logo. I don't want to see that one forever on the screen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif