Who says the U2 can't be a combat light? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
1) Remove clip
2) Add grip rings from G2Z

Presto:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

cy

Flashaholic
ya how did you remove the clip and how did you unscrew the bezel without damage?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is nothing that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif Al the SureFire man /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif doesnt know about SureFires. That is a handsome addition to the U2. Wish I owned one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif. But how can a 12 year old buy a nearly 300$ light? BTW, how does the rubber ring stay on the body of the light?

grnamin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15's said:
How did you remove the clip?

Thanks

Al

Al and CY, I removed the clip according to McGizmo's instructions: Remove the tailcap then push the plastic clip retaining ring in the direction of the tailcap. This will expose the entire clip. You can then slip the clip off. Push the retaining ring back into place and screw the tailcap back on. The tailcap is what keeps the retaining clip in place. You can add the grip rings before screwing the tailcap back on.

Here's what the clip looks like with the retaining ring moved:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Say, can you install a normal clip like the kind from the E series onto the U2?

grnamin

Enlightened
A clip from the E series bodies can't be installed on the U2 because the latter lacks a channel to slide and wedge that kind of clip into.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
ACK!!!!

I said the only improvement I could think of to the U2's ergonomics is the addition of a Combatgrip body style..

*goes in search of a grip ring* wonder if SF CS will sell me one as an....uh..... replacement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then I'm gonna have to find a way to cut down a part of the ring so I can use both the clip AND the ring, C2-style. Yes, I lived with and loved the C2 - my favorite body style. Now if only the L5 could take 18650s, SF would relieve me of ANOTHER wad of cash.

Masterfully done, grnamin!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

(the other improvement is in the electronics area - get the U2 to deliver constant level 6 in regulation on 18650 lithium ions, but that's another story for another day)

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great,

How did you remove the grip ring from the G2Z? Is it pliable enough to just pry off? I've wanted to remove one of the spacer rings since I got my G2Z, but I didn't want to tear it, so I've just left it on.

Eagle1

Newly Enlightened
Now I am curious, will the U2 with clip removed fit in the standard Surefire combat holster that the G2Z/6P etc fits in, of course bezel up?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thx, Greg!

Eagle1 - I don't have my V70 Speed Holster with me today...but...I'm looking at my U2 right next to my Z3. The distance from the end of the tail cap to where the grip ring would be on the U2 is about the same as on my Z3. And the tailcaps are the same diameter..so...yes, it should work bezel up.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said: Now if only the L5 could take 18650s, SF would relieve me of ANOTHER wad of cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out this L5 turbo X4T (alais Photon Kid) L5 body has been bored out to accept 18650.

l5 x4t.JPG

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened
Ah man (whiny voice)! Now you guys aremaking me want an M3 and a U2. I am gonna go broke from this forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
cy, I was eyeing that in B/S/T recently, I take it that it has arrived in your hands safely? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not so much because I wanted to buy it, because I already have a C2 and the Turbohead and the Turbosink from Kiu.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But that Turbosink is looking for a job to do.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

If you bore out the body, do the incan lamps still sit properly? I was looking at my C2 (L5 with different etchings) last night and noticing that if you bore it out, it removes the 'shoulder' on which the lamp negative springs sit.

luminosus: you need both a short/medium range variable power light AND a hardcore throw light... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Kevin, the stock bulb still fits fine. shoulder is still there. turbosink from kiu has no spring. I'm in the proccess of cutting a slot for a circlip for a spring to butt to.

This X4T turbo is a thrower. KFC did a good job putting it together. having a pila or 18650 to run X4T is deluxe!!!

The King of LED throw is still MR-X X3T. Very close to output of M6 w/Lola. M6 still will out-throw all LED lights with Lola. I've got a pair of Hola enroute.

I've been using my U2 the most lately.