Pressure Washers How much PSI?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Pressure washer owners out there have any comments on the subject? I am looking at a 2450psi 2gpm washer at Lowe's for $284 (Mail in rebate for a $30 gift card too!)
I am interested in using it for cleaning off some algae? or whatever that green stuff is on concrete. Is 2450 psi enough?

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
My first pressure washer was an electric 1200 psi that didn't work well or last long. I replaced it with a 2400 psi 5.5 hp gas engine model from Home Depot and it works great. I've used it for cleaning a cedar deck, stripping loose paint and removing stains from concrete. It has been plenty of pressure for my needs. In fact, getting too close to the wood surface has gouged it and using too narrow of spray tip has etched the concrete accidently. My personal preference was for a Honda engine.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
3 or 4 gallons per minute at 2000-3000 psi are about where it's at.

I am in this business.

What I will tell you is this. The primary consideration when you buy is the type of pump... not the lowest price.

Stay away from the axial pumps with the head on the end away from or under the engine! They are built for home use and do so okay, but they don't like to sit unused very long.

A direct drive crankshaft driven pump with the head at 90 degrees to the crankshaft is a FAR better animal that can usually be serviced easily.

You can't go far wrong with any engine choice. We get very good service out of Briggs & Stratton engines, and Honda engines only just became common on the brand of hot water units we sell.

The Honda GX340 is a very nearly bullet proof unit however!

Look for Comet, AR, or General pumps. Stay away from Cat! If the Cat ever needs parts, you could buy a new Comet just as cheaply!

Consider what you've paid for this advice, and act accordingly!

turbodog

Flashaholic
Yeah..... pump selection.

A horizontal pump that direct mounts to the engine is the way to go for a washer in this price range.

Pump repair is waaaaay expensive.

You can buy replacement comet or general pumps for about $175-225 in the pressure/flow range you are looking at.

Be sure to not let the water freeze in the pump during the winter. I did and it broke off some bolts in the pump head.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure you get a "turbo" nozzle too, it's a must have. It's the only tip I use anymore on my unit.

Peter

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Turbos do work well if you get the right one. I've got 5 or 6 in a tool box that don't spin.

They get a bit picky when the water gets good and hot however.

Hang on a sec, I think I can get you a link.

http://www.alkota.com/

The unit right there on the front page would do you a nice job for years!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
They both have axial cam pumps.

In my roughly 26 years of being around and working on pressure washers, I have yet to see an axial pump worth it's weight in scrap!

Of the two, I'd go with the Karcher. But I'd look for a triplex pump machine before I did that.