Lights in Flight of The Phoenix movies?

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that there's a remake of the movie Flight of The Phoenix coming out this months. After watching National Treasure, is anyone wondering what type of lights they'll see in this movie? Surefire for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Chiphead

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I take it they are going to make it an action movie, the original version was more of a drama of sorts there was only a few parts with action in it, mostly it was just tension between the actors struggling to survive. I enjoyed the original and hope they don't remake it into a completely different movie.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
SF lights would be an anacronysm,(sp?) as the original was set in the '40s or '50s. My father told me he knew the test/stunt pilot who was killed in the filming of the original.

Larry

Steve C

Enlightened
<<...the pilot who was killed...>>

Paul Mantz. No computer imaging back then; what you saw was the real thing. He died during filming of literally the last take.

He was a legend in the aviation community of that era.

gorlank

Enlightened
The original was a great movie, thrilling and well acted without having to resort to cheap tricks.
I've seen some clips of the new flick, they dumbed down the plot and added what appear to be arms smugglers (oooh!). It's pathetic how they have to keep remaking superior films.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully the people will get tired of computer special effects put in just because they can and start watching films with plots.
I listen to a lot of old time radio shows and some of these lasted more than 30 years on the radio, then a few years on TV. I'm convinced it's because we can do more with our imagination than anybody can with special effects. The monster you don't see can be far scarier than the one you do.
As an aside, I wonder if stunt men and women realize that their future is limited? Then there are the actors...

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the star in the original was Jimmy Stewart. And you can bet they're going to shovel in a lot of CGI. But since I'm in my 40s this movie is not being marketed to me.

chiphead

Steve C

Enlightened
<<...shovel in a lot of CGI...>>

Yeah. One clip shows the C-119 hurtling through sand dunes, shedding parts. It looks EXACTLY like the scenes of the two "super" space shuttles careening through the asteroid debris field in Armageddon. This computer trickery worked fine in that movie. It just looks dumb when applied to a 250 mph (with a tail wind) cargo hauler... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
It just goes to show you that there's no longer any creativity in Hollywood. They take the old repackage it, add some CGI. Then market it to a generation thats' never seen the original! But this is another subject. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

chiphead