Nuwai Q3-Work EDC

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
For my job I had been carrying two lights on my belt. An Arc LSL on one side and a Scorpion, E2e or G2 on the other side. I need a smooth close up beam and some throw. The preceeding combination worked for almost all my lighting needs unless a pen light or multi million CP lantern was required for that other 1% of the time.

Since getting the QIII (which will "arrive" at Christmas) I've EDC'd it at work for a week and found it to be a good compromise. So far it has enough throw and flood for most work needs - if I'm going to carry just one light. The Arc and one of the other incans are better if two duty lights are tolerable.

It's fun to have enough decent lights to experiment with and I count my blessings every day.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
You might want to consider a two-stage switch mod which also includes the ability to stand on end. It makes the light much more useful.

Brightnorm

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestion BN. Will it still fit in the original holster and can you recommend a better sheath for the QIII? Thanks again.

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
Jayflash, please keep us posted... I've been thinking about getting a couple of these since the "new" SF L1's are still incognito. Still carrying my modded L1 (LuxIII TWOK, Fraen, by CM) and an X5T for backup on my duty belt. THX!

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
jayflash, the two-stage switch and recessed tailbutton mod is described here:

Nuwai Q-III Momentary + hi/low switch mod (+pics)

Another thread with pictures of the O-ring installation are here:
Standing QIII on Tailcap

Simply sticking an O-ring in to recess the tail button increases the utility of the Q-III a lot, since you can use it in candle mode. It takes zero skill, just some pliers with fine tips to grab the retaining ring in order to unscrew it, and an O-ring. I used a cheapo (cost = 35 cents) O-ring from Ace Hardware. I didn't even have to shave down the retaining ring as vezk described. I think it was a 5/8 diameter O-ring... I recommend you bring in the little rubber boot when you go to the hardware store. The O-ring should fit around the "bubble". I bought two O-rings of varying thickness, and both of them work fine.

I'm getting ready to try the momentary mod, as it looks pretty easy. Heck I might as well try the two-stage mod as well, since it looks fairly easy.

If you don't feel like going to all the effort, and you'd like a better bin Luxeon in your Q-III, contact milkyspit.

My pimped-out Nuwai Quantum-III

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I was a bit skeptical about the Quantum III at first, but I'm sold.

It's not the brightest flashlight. It's not the smallest. It's not the most durable. It's not the best-looking.

But it's well above average in *all* of the above categories. At its price ($38.50 from CountyComm), I don't cringe when I drop it or get crud on it. It's got great value, and has turned most of my other Luxeon CR123 lights into stay-at-home safe queens.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that it's light enough to clip to my baseball cap for hands free work!

chiphead

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well put H-O-P, the Q-III is a good value, above average and I won't get upset if I break or lose it at work like I would my E2e or LSL. It's a very good all arounder for me and the size works too.

stockae92

Enlightened
will the standing tailcap mod change the feel of the switch in anyway?

seems easy enough and i think i will try it

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
The only change in the feel of the switch is that the button doesn't stick out as far, and you have to push in a bit further to activate it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You may as well try the mod. It takes a 35 cent O-ring from Ace Hardware and a few minutes to disassemble the tailcap. If you don't like it, just remove the O-ring and all is well. I didn't have to shave down the plastic retaining ring, even with a fatter O-ring. I ended up using the skinnier of the two O-rings I bought, because the "groove" around the periphery of the button created by the O-ring seemed to accumulate extra dirt and gunk. I haven't rigorously tested water resistance with the O-ring, but I screwed down the retaining ring down tightly, and I imagine that would seal the tailcap as tightly as the original configuration. Washing the previously mentioned dirt and gunk off of the button under the faucet didn't introduce any water into the tailcap assembly.

GCalifornianus

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chiphead said:
I've found that it's light enough to clip to my baseball cap for hands free work!

chiphead

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the one good application for the clip. I have had mine about a week and like it--it has replaced the comparatively gargantuan Pelican M6 LED for now--but the clip is troublesome. All it has done for me so far is snag on everything, most notably the case when I'm trying to put the light back in. Otherwise it's a good light, especially so for its size.

Krit

Enlightened
Are someone change stock circuit to Nextgen500 .? I would like to know about the difference brightness.

Longbow

Enlightened
Guys I know you'er all going to hate me for this, but jeez, check out the Inova T1. It is really a great light AND it's HAIII, AND it's warranteed for a lifetime!

MikieHead

Newly Enlightened
Unregulated,
T1 is 35-40% heavier (1 OZ), 20% longer (1 Inch) and slightly less total Output (Flood). So it is a great light, just a slightly different animal. When you get that small, every tiny bit seems big!!!
Just my 2 pennies worth!!!

Longbow

Enlightened
Mikiehead, ya but if you'er going to EDC it, the Q-III will look old and worn in a few weeks, while the T1 will look like new for years. Hey then theres that lifetime warrantee on the T1 !