Surefire U2 output

code09

Enlightened
When it first came out, everyone was saying that the U2 can output 2- 100 lumens. But now that it is on the surefire site, surefire's description says "battery saving two lumens of light—perfect for finding your keys in the dark—to a retina-searing 80 lumens at its highest setting."

The highest is 80...can someone explain this to me?
Is the L2 really 100? The U2 seems way brighter than my L2. Thanks

cy

Flashaholic
Seems Surefire is easing requirement for production to include Vbin.

Assuming at least a 35% loss from transmission and heat. to consistantly meet 100 lumens you would need Wbins for production.

of course luxeon lottery applies here too. My U2's output in lumens is almost identical to my Xbins w/27mm reflectors.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The one that I received has literature stating 2-100 lumens. It appears to have as much, or slightly moe output, than my Z3/P90, which is rated at 105 lumens.

Why don't they just go to a graded pricing scheme based on the quality of the individual lamp in each U2? If I didn't need the absolute best, I'd appreciate a little price break. If I did need the best, I wouldn't mind paying extra for it. Hmmm...hope I didn't open a can of worms...

oldeng95

Enlightened
has anyones switch bezel broke??
just asking because I wnet to Turner Outdoors and their display model would not switch at all, I couldnt tell if it was on high of not, plus the tint was worse than my L4 and my L4 is kind of green.
PAUL

code09

Enlightened
Mine is fine! And i have put tonnns of pressure on it, still working nice and dandy.

nexro

Enlightened
Just got mine today. My switch works fine too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Output is lower than I expected, perhaps I am expecting too much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Does anyone have beamshots of the U2 against other lights like L2, L4, L5 and L6??

grnamin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldeng95 said:
has anyones switch bezel broke??
just asking because I wnet to Turner Outdoors and their display model would not switch at all, I couldnt tell if it was on high of not, plus the tint was worse than my L4 and my L4 is kind of green.
PAUL

[/ QUOTE ]

A member of another forum reported that his U2 no longer goes past level 1 when turning the selector ring. Surefire told him to send it back, he said.

fivebyfive

Enlightened
I e-mailed Surefire that very same question just only a few days ago. I questioned them on why the different lumen specification between their website and other websites selling the U2. The response was that the maximum output on the U2 is in fact 100 lumens and not 80 lumens like it is stated on the Surefire website. Surefire made no comment on why there was a difference in specifications between their website and others.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please read this thread. ALL their comments are relevant.

Would you be happier if you were told your light does 80 lumens but you found it does 120, than if you were told your light does 120 and you only found it does 80?

Believe me, I'd be a lot happier if they told me 80 and it does 120 (mine does - measured against the P90 and MN15 lamps, of which there is no controversy about)

(edited to fix URL)