Insight Technology VLI - is it anygood?!

Size15's

Flashaholic
Has anyone got the Insight Technology VLI 9V (3 Lithium DL123A) weapon/flashlight? This is also on the StreamLight website. VLI stands for "Visible Light Illuminator"

It's rated between 150 & 200 Lumens, and the runtime is reported to be between 30-60 minutes. For about $290, this should be better than the SureFire M3 ($160)/ M500A.

Why is no-one writing about this flashlight?

Are there any other 9V (3 Lithium DL123A) flashlights other than the VLI and those from SureFire?

Thanks for any info you have on the VLI!

Alastair

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Size15s on 11-07-2000 at 06:54 PM</font>

Skyline

Enlightened
Wow, $290 for a VL1 at 150 lumens? Brightguy has this on their website, and it seems to be a weapon light only. For that much, I'd buy a second Surefire M6 instead. *phew*

/mel
grin.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
We've all be had by CP ratings.
If no-one comes forward to give their views on the VLI, then I must assume it's not worth the money and it can't do what it claims.
I will email Insight Technology and StreamLight to see if they can point me towards some user comments - hopefully in forums.

I'm with you on getting an M6 instead. Or an M2000!

Alastair

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my second VLI - the first had a short circuit in the switch, and burned me the first time it was run - and it has just become my new favorite incan.

Yes, that's claiming the throne from the Princeton Tec Surge dive light that held the title - the VLI has a pattern I prefer. Also, I like the flexibility of running Surefire lamps in it, and the VLI is P90 compatible. (I'm running the stock lamp, since P90s are discontinued and scarce)

I plan on attaching a pocket clip to 2" section of pic rail and leaving that clamped in place, since I don't plan on using this as a real weaponlight more often than not.

Necromancy? Heck yeah, but I just tracked down my VLI on eBay a week or two ago! (Edit: Seriously, I've had an eBay bot trolling for these for a decade now, and I'm stoked that it finally found me one!)

m4a1usr

Enlightened
Yeah this thread is an oldy but goody. There's been a guy on the bay that has a bunch of them for a pretty decent price currently. Also another who claims he can add a 900 lumen LED to his if you buy from him. In a Nitrolon/plastic body! Guess he doesn't know much about heat dissipation. I love the VLI with its dual battery configuration. Probably it's biggest advantage in my book. Bought my first one back in the late 90's.

I have this same one mounted on my KAC RAS2. Over the years I have bought and sold them to collect the filters/ lens covers, different switches, and spares that come in the SOPMOD kit. Hard to find a complete kit anymore. I made a low lumen LED conversion for mine (even sold a few dozen on the bay) that does the job well enough. All in all a very durable light that still has one the deepest water proof ratings.

GBUVB76

Newly Enlightened
Nice, I just found this thread. I just purchased a couple of used ones and was looking at upgrading the lamp module in one. Does anyone have a list of lamps/modules that can replace the stock old-school lamp (not horrible). I plan on running these with rechargeable batteries (need to do homework on how those can affect lamps/heat since I'm a newb to candles). I've ordered a Malkoff M61 LED to test and was wondering if anyone knew of CREE options...

I find it well suited for running on a rail on a mid-length. Interesting look.

Yeah this thread is an oldy but goody. There's been a guy on the bay that has a bunch of them for a pretty decent price currently. Also another who claims he can add a 900 lumen LED to his if you buy from him. In a Nitrolon/plastic body! Guess he doesn't know much about heat dissipation. I love the VLI with its dual battery configuration. Probably it's biggest advantage in my book. Bought my first one back in the late 90's.

I have this same one mounted on my KAC RAS2. Over the years I have bought and sold them to collect the filters/ lens covers, different switches, and spares that come in the SOPMOD kit. Hard to find a complete kit anymore. I made a low lumen LED conversion for mine (even sold a few dozen on the bay) that does the job well enough. All in all a very durable light that still has one the deepest water proof ratings.

GBUVB76

Newly Enlightened
Played around with some LED bulbs and it really opened the VLI up to a modern standard. Used a [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]XM-L T6 LED 1-Mode LED Drop-in Module and it looks to be pushing around 650 lumens. I also wanted a LED that could handle more than 9v (I burned out the original lamp with some CR123 rechargeables). [/FONT]