Underwater Headlamp Recommendation Needed

AMG_Roadster

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for recommendations for a water proof headlamp. The brighter the better, price is not too important. I am planning on a vacation and need a headlamp I can use in all conditions, Hiking, Canoing, and lastly Scuba Diving. The Princeton Tec Vortec looks like it fits the bill but I am unsure as to the quality of it lighting.

mrme

Enlightened
Princeton Tech is a company that makes diving lights. If any major manufacturer knows how to make a waterproff headlamp, it is them.

But you said price is not important, so you may have to do some digging, but come up with something better from a specialty company.

My comments on the Vortek, Solo, Matrix, Predator, etc. (all essentialy the same light) are it is a pretty low performong light. It has the mechanisms complex enough for focusing, but it does not focus. The hot spot is blinging up close, but has rather poor throw. Side spill is not very usable with the hot spot. I can't imagine diving with it and having it all reflecting back at me.

I do like how modular it is, though. You can change out lenses, reflectors and bulbs pretty easily and there is a good amount of junk avalible. I even have a re3d lens. The bulb is a PR based, so they can be had in any power you like and are avlible anywhere. I keep a 800 ma bulb handy, but usually run the 500 ma it came with. I have a 1.3 amp bulb which I rarely use. Oh, I have a Solo, which is the 2 aa model. I seldom use it, but it was my first headlamp.

It makes a great loaner with the 400 ma bulb. It is one of the simplest and most rugged headlamps on the market. Quality of construction is very good, just performance is a little weak.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd dive with it, I'd say it would be a guage checker at best. Headlamps as a whole aren't to see underwater unless you're looking at one of the highly expensive HID units. I'd use my Matrix for anything outdoors, though, I think it's more than bright enough for what I need it for. .

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm not much of a diver, but wouldn't wearing a headlamp be uncomfortable/interfering with the mask? Headlamps tend to cover your entire forehead, and part of it would be covered by the mask's skirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

AMG_Roadster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
I'm not much of a diver, but wouldn't wearing a headlamp be uncomfortable/interfering with the mask? Headlamps tend to cover your entire forehead, and part of it would be covered by the mask's skirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I have not used a headlamp before. I have seen at least one headlamp advertised for diving so I am going to assume it does not hang down far enough to interfere with the mask.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
AMG_Roadster said:
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know. I have not used a headlamp before. I have seen at least one headlamp advertised for diving so I am going to assume it does not hang down far enough to interfere with the mask.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Will you be caving? Please let us know what you find.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some two decades ago I had a Tekna headlamp which was attched to the mask. Not perfect, but working. I had it with 4 AA cells and a 5W halogen bulb, maybe half an hour runtime.

For serious headlmaps it will be wise to contact cave divers.

Do you look for a two piece one?

AMG_Roadster

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PeLu said:
Some two decades ago I had a Tekna headlamp which was attched to the mask. Not perfect, but working. I had it with 4 AA cells and a 5W halogen bulb, maybe half an hour runtime.

For serious headlmaps it will be wise to contact cave divers.

Do you look for a two piece one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am leaning towards a two piece design. Based on looks I think they will be more comfortable, better balanced, and appear to offer better lamps (in general). But I am open to any suggestions as I have no experience in this matter.

Good idea about talking with spelunkers (cavers), I had not thought about it. I had planned on running by a dive shop this weekend but never made it.

In addition to my quest for the headlamp I am looking for a good deal on a Surefire C3 flashlight.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, unless you spend a boatload of money, a two piece is too big and bulky. IMO, it would get in my way when being highly active. If it were for diving only, then a good two piece would be great, but for hiking and paddling I think a two piece would be restrictive. .