QIII questions

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered mine way last Tuesday and it showed up today. Countycomm does good work.
The light is great but I have questions on the clip and the holster.

Does the clip keep it in place? It seems a little loose on my pants pockets and the head sticks up to far in my opinion.

The holster is nice but the loop will not fit over my wide belt. I'm thinking of a piece of velcro to wrap it.
Suggestions?

I'm also thinking it might end up around my neck. It's not that much bigger than my CMG and would sit well there for short periods...
I just threaded a quick release from a memory stick through the hole on the end of the clip and it's around my neck.

Anyway it's going with me all the time.

Mark2

Enlightened
Yes, the light is just too short for a safe use of the clip. I just put my Q-III in the pocket without using the clip. I wouldn't take off the clip as it doubles as an anti-roll device.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
The clip is kind of useless... It's not tight enough for anything.

I just got another Q3 today... this one seems like a good bin, it's the whitest Lux 3 I have.

Try putting a rechargable R123 cell in there.... waaaayy brighter!

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Try putting a rechargable R123 cell in there.... waaaayy brighter!

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell us which R123 (and charger) are you using...and where did you buy it? I'm anxious to take that plunge, but I'm still not clear as to which way to turn (I'd go with Burly's higher voltage R123's, but they don't appear to be available as yet).

kd7kmp

Newly Enlightened
I use the clip on my QIII every day. It goes in my left pants pocket and has yet to fall off. I don't use the holster.

Kevin

Moe

Newly Enlightened
You can tighten the clip by taking it off the light, bend it some more "downwards" and attach it to the light again.
All you need is a torx driver size 6 if i remember correctly.
I don't clip the light to my pockets, but to my baseballcap. Works great as a headlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Moe said:
You can tighten the clip by taking it off the light, bend it some more "downwards" and attach it to the light again.
All you need is a torx driver size 6 if i remember correctly.
I don't clip the light to my pockets, but to my baseballcap. Works great as a headlight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't even need a torx driver, a regular flat one will do just fine. (just thought I'd mention that because many people seem to forget that about torx-screws)

AW

Newly Enlightened
Anyone not using their Q-III holster? I want to get couple more because I ripped mine. I 'll pay the postage. Thanks.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I stripped the screws on mine trying to use a flathead screwdriver. Oh, well.

BTW, my Q-III screws took a #5 (not #6) torx driver.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
They are #5 Torx screws, which come out quite easily when using the correct size Torx Driver (the right tool for the right job).

If you've stripped the screws, you can pick up a screw extraction bit from Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. You can use a hand drill, or drill press. (I think the smallest extraction bit you'll find in one of those stores is a"#1", which should be small enough to remove those stripped screws).

I took the clips off of both my QIII,...and my latest acquisition, QIII's "Mother" ( Nuwai model no. TM-301X-3). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Both now slide easily into their pouches, which I wear on my belt everyday.

Right now I'm just having fun wearing both...In a few days, once the "novelty" wears off a bit, I'll settle into alternating between using one of the two as my EDC (I'm more than pleasantly surprised by QIII's "Mom", it's only 5" long, compared to the 3 5/8" QIII, which means that they're both small enough to EDC, especially when worn in their pouches. The "low" setting on QIII's Mom puts out just the right amount of light to see my way around my bedroom at night, w/o waking my wife up with a blast of 3 watt light from the high setting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif And like the QIII, it too is small enough in diameter at the rear of the light (.9") to comfortably hold in my mouth so as to free up both hands). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Osprey_Guy said:
Can you tell us which R123 (and charger) are you using...and where did you buy it? I'm anxious to take that plunge, but I'm still not clear as to which way to turn (I'd go with Burly's higher voltage R123's, but they don't appear to be available as yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.batterystation.com/cpf.htm

They are 3.6V, $15 is a good deal. Charger and one batt.

LightHearted

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
They are 3.6V, $15 is a good deal. Charger and one batt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, and they are protected cells too. I think I am going to have to order this set for the QIII I see in my near future. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NetMage

Enlightened
Any suggestions on a local source for T5 driver? It doesn't seem like my Sears/Radio Shack carries such a small Torx bit...

jchock

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
NetMage said:
Any suggestions on a local source for T5 driver? It doesn't seem like my Sears/Radio Shack carries such a small Torx bit...

[/ QUOTE ]

Home Depot has an eight bit Torx screwdriver thing for about $7-8 under their Husky brand. It has four reversible bits and covers T4, T5, T6, T7, T8, T9, T10, T15. It looks like a jewelers screwdriver with a fatter handle (the non-used bits are stored there). They make another for smaller flathead and philips screwdrivers as well.

EdB

Newly Enlightened
Lowes has the same tool jchock described above.

task_force.jpg