SureFire U2 on 2x CR2

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
It's been too long since I just blew off the "work" and did a goofy mod for the sake of doing a goofy mod! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

The challenge was to shrink a U2 a bit and not loose any feature. Well I lost the pocket clip but gained guarded tail standing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

compare-SF-clickie.jpg

It was fun taking a step backwards and going from a tube that can handle an 18650 cell and limiting it to just 2xCR2 but the reduction in volume of the light wasn't as much as I had hoped; still feels good in the hand though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have been meaning to take one of the clickie switches I got from yclo about a year ago now and doing an E-series tail switch mod with it and now seemed like a good time to give it a go.

switch-details.jpg

apart.jpg

And all together you get:

U2-CR2-raw.jpg

The battery tube is now in for black anodizing and after I get it back and break through the anodize to provide ground paths, I will put the light back together and shoot it against the stock light. This mod was certainly marginal in its scope but I have picked up some ideas from cutting the chips and working with some design considerations so it wasn't a complete waste of time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Heck, the little clickie switch actually works pretty well and provides momentary as well as constant on. *We* need a generic clickie switch that is smaller and more dependable than the dang Kroll! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I lobbied for one a few years ago and got no where. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh yeah, before I forget, beam shots and runtimes are slated for the third quarter of 2006! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, that's slick, Don! Nothing is safe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
*We* need a generic clickie switch that is smaller and more dependable than the dang Kroll!

[/ QUOTE ]
Now I ask you... HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I SAID THIS? The dang switch has been the weak link since the beginning of time. Still bugs me that we had to resort to a Kroll on the McLux!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
... "third quarter of 2006" .... noted to calender /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
cute!
bernhard

McGizmo

Flashaholic
After anodizing, it looks a bit better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

complete.jpg

Kiessling

Flashaholic
All those PILA guys cuold use their *things* in this tube, couldn't they?

Would a 2x123 tube like this have any significant size/ weight improvement?

bernie

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if there is an Aleph tube by U2 head adapter in the works now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

mut

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
A 2x123 tube would add to the lengthand a bit to the girth. Whether it would be "significant" reduction to the stock battery tube is a personal call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I am not sure the difference in the two above is significant.

Judging by the pic of PK's desk in the 2005 calendar, I would guess that Paul has visited many variations on the U2 theme and only time will tell what other offerings will come forth! I believe the U2 was in part a concession to CPFer's and others who wanted a host for the large diameter 18650's like the Pila. I think the U2 is very effective at being true to its form, as is. I would like and hope to see a similar light in smaller format with LuxIII.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Wise words indeed. Express so well what I could not bring to paper.
The U2 is just fine as it is ... no need to tweak it.

And yes, the same thing with aLuxIII in a smaller format without the damned rechargeable-compatability would be really a homerun ...

bk