ForeSight lights

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
While shopping Target the other day, I came across some lights (LED & Xenon) made by a firm called ForeSight. Although they don't look all that hot, they'd make a nice addition to the toolbox.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
chiphead

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the 3 LED 2AA Mag style 2-3 months ago for about $10 - very unimpressive. I don't recommend spending your money on it. The Dorcy 1AA 3LED is a much better value.

skr

Newly Enlightened
I tried one of those a couple months ago. It was a 2AA model with 3 or 4 LEDs. Output was very weak and ugly. Avoid.

StuU

Enlightened
I picked up one a few months ago- 5 leds/incandescent combo on 3AAs. Not a bad little light. The 5 leds were comparable to the Inova X5 while the incandescent was a little weak. Finish was pretty nice. 3AA holder was solid. Switch OK. Not bad for a fleamarket price of $4.00.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was the unit I was looking at, this sounds as if this is the best unit they've got. It was either that or one from Coast Cutlery. One more flashlight for 2004 and that's the end.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
chiphead

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the 500,000 cp model. It's very low quality junk. It does put out alot of light though. Buy a maxfire or a spyder instead.

StuU

Enlightened
I think that the quality of the Foresight lights varies quite a bit. I've seen some that seem pretty questionable. Others seem to be OK such as the 3AA combo that I have.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
I've got a Target less than 15 minutes away (in fact there are 3 Targets within 15 minutes, each in a different direction). I had remembered seeing the "500,000 Candlepower" lights by Foresight, so out of curiosity I bopped on over and purchased one to bring home for testing.

When I got home I made a beeline for my pitch black basement...Loaded the flashlight with the two (included) CR123's and switched it on.

First of all, it's been two months since I joined the CPF, and dove into the world of Luxeon Star lights. I've gotten so accustomed to looking at the clean, pure white lights of my Lux 3's, that I'd forgotten just how yellow the lights are given off by incandescents. When I first turned this one on, the color kind of took me by surprise.

I will say, it is definitely very bright...Much brighter than my QIII (even with fresh batteries). But man, while it may be screaming bright, when compared to the clean, white light of my QIII, the light is not only very yellow, but quite "dirty"...Summed up in two words I found it to be downright..."butt ugly." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

Having said that...I tried it again a few minutes later, this time without the QIII light as comparison. Now that I didn't have the Lux 3 for reference, it wasn't nearly as bad. in fact I think I kinda liked seeing the warmer light as a change of pace. And in terms of brightness, it has an extremely hot center with just enough spill to make it serviceable for flood (My three Lux III lights...QIII, QIII's "Mom", and 3 x N Black Diamond, as well as my Dorcy 1 watt, all give off equal or greater, and of course much smoother, whiter spill).

Calling this "junk" might be a bit harsh...it is what it is (My $6 Dorcy AAA LED is not exactly top-of-the-line, but it is very useful). And at that price point ($14.99), the Foresight sure gives off a hell of a lot of light (1/2 million candlepower?...I don't know about that...I'd have to leave that to the experts).

As to whether or not I'm going to keep it, well that's another story. I suspect it will be returned...and if I do decide to add incandescent to my rapidly growing collection, I'll spend a few extra bucks and go for something a little more high end.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this one is going to stay on the shelf. I did see the nice (no, elegant) Coast LED Lenser with 5 white/1 red led. Should look nice when I dress-up (shirt & tie).

chiphead