KL3 + G2Z body

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't know why anyone would want to do this to their brand new Surefire Nitrolon G2Z, but the KL3 Luxeon head fits it, and I believe the O-ring engages properly as well. So if all you have is a G2Z, you can convert it to LED by using the KL3 head. It looks a bit *****, but it does work, and you end up with a lightweight light (relative to the KL3+M2 combo) with all the existing benefits of the KL3.

I don't believe heat will become an issue because the KL3 head by itself is massive and well-endowed with heat dissipating fins. I'll let this Darwinesque hybrid run for awhile and see if it heats up any more than expected, though I honestly don't expect it to.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking about that massive KL3 head, why is it that it is twice as large in both diameter and length than the KL1? I can understand it being larger, diameter wise to fit larger bodies like the C2/M2, but why does it need to be twice as long as a KL1? Basically same circuitry, heat dissipation needs are about the same too I think. I wish the KL3 was smaller.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The threading is much deeper in this bezel, as far as I can tell. The original bezel/lamp assembly on my M2 has the same long threading that takes quite a bit of screwing in. My guess is if the KL3 were made any shorter, it would leave exposed threads on whatever you screwed it onto.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig, that makes sense in light of the fact that the M2/C2 is much heavier duty and all..

By the way, did PK say anything regarding the slightly higher light output of the KL3 (251K mcd vs 270K mcd)? With a greater heat sink, is this expected to be the norm?

TOB9595

Enlightened
I'll use the kl3 on my G2. Beauty is in the eye of the functionary
smile.gif
Looking at the graphs the kl3 w 2x123 is stunning. Now to get a 3x123 body to fit.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having celebrated my 39th(ha ha) birthday with PK and Kenshiro last night, here is some info on the KL3...

The reason the KL3 is as large as it is, is to accomodate the accessoreies that fit the standard M2. The other reason is that the LS is driven harder than in the KL1 the added size helps to dissapate the heat.

The KL3 does operate on the G2z body, but not recommeded as the nitrolon body does not disasppate heat as efficently as an aluminum body

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr Ted Bear, Happy Birthday! Is this your first 39th Birthday?

Craig's current readings are the same for both KL1 and KL3 at 270 mA. The battery life is basically equivalent. I thought the KL3 was a bit brighter not because it had a higher current consumption but just a little better cooling. Is this true?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Having celebrated my 39th(ha ha) birthday with PK and Kenshiro last night, here is some info on the KL3...

The KL3 does operate on the G2z body, but not recommeded as the nitrolon body does not disasppate heat as efficently as an aluminum body
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Happy Birthday!
Maybe somebody will give you a Surefire Beast.
grin.gif

As for the KL3/G2Z body, I did carefully test-run it for five or ten minutes, and the head was still comfortably warm - definitely well under 100°F. After that I just used it intermittently.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Craig, can you post a picture of the KL3 on the G2Z? I got a Z2 and can't wait to see what that combo will look like.
Thanks, Sam Adams

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Happy Birthday Jeff. I consider 39 to be the gateway to either youthful maturity or mature youthfulness; I'm not sure which.

Has it been established whether running the KL-1 with three 123's continuously on (for hours)is safe?

Brightnorm

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm

39th unfortunately was several years ago.... but like wine, I'm getting better with age.

Funny you should question how a KL-1 operates continuiously... PK mentioned that he has had one on the test bench for the last few months using a constant current power supply.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Sam Adams:
Hey Craig, can you post a picture of the KL3 on the G2Z? I got a Z2 and can't wait to see what that combo will look like.
Thanks, Sam Adams
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It may be a while. You may want to see this thread.

Darell

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:

Funny you should question how a KL-1 operates continuiously... PK mentioned that he has had one on the test bench for the last few months using a constant current power supply.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">So... you're saying it might be safe to run it on batteries for a few hours?
grin.gif

What did you do, Jeff? Call me on your birthday? Did you have gifts?

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
Craig,

Slightly different question. Have you tried the KL3 on a G2R? Is that even a possiblity? Does the battery have enough juice to run it properly, and for how long?

Del

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bright Scouter,

Please refer to Lux Luthor's comments two posts above, Craig will be out of action for a while (we're all praying he'll be back with us soon)

RY3

Enlightened
Originally posted by Bright Scouter:
Craig,

Slightly different question. Have you tried the KL3 on a G2R? Is that even a possiblity? Does the battery have enough juice to run it properly, and for how long?

Del
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Al (Size15s) mentioned on this Post that G2R will fit....

The KL3 will work on the following:
G2, G2R, G2Z
6P, 9P, 6R
C2, C3
D2, D3
M2
Z2, Z3 (also 6Z & 9Z & 7Z)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ron