Xenon/LED Combo >>>>>

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Yes I am a newbie, Sorry for the stupid questions, but I am looking for a Lithium 2 cell Flashlight that has the following:
1. Main Xenon bulb with good throw and brightness
2. 3 or more LEDs for when not using the Xenon Bulb
3. Regulated prefered but not needed

Thanks for any info and God BLess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Take a look at the Streamlight Twin Task series of lights...all have 3-6 leds and a halogen bulb. The SL TT-3C has a 3 led output, a 6 led output and a halogen output and uses 3 "C" size batteries.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on your budget.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Unlimited (or at least $150) : Surefire A2 Aviator (www.surefire.com) The LEDs are direct drive, it doesn't make much difference whether they're regulated at that low level. The bulb however is regulated - one of the rare few regulated incandescents.

Mid-range : Streamlight Twin Task series (www.streamlight.com). Available in various battery configurations, ranging from AA to 123 lithium to C-cell, with varying light outputs. Basically boils down to your preference.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Jdeluna!! The Streamlight Twintask 2L might be exactly what you're looking for. Just exactly what you described, but the throw is not that great, just pretty decent. Else a much better quality (and price) light with the same functions is the Surefire A2 Aviator. Definitely can't go wrong with this baby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: Dang, I hadn't refreshed the page in a few minutes, didn't know that both posts before me mentioned the exact same lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
Welcome Jdeluna!! The Streamlight Twintask 2L might be exactly what you're looking for. Just exactly what you described, but the throw is not that great, just pretty decent. Else a much better quality (and price) light with the same functions is the Surefire A2 Aviator. Definitely can't go wrong with this baby!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edit: Dang, I hadn't refreshed the page in a few minutes, didn't know that both posts before me mentioned the exact same lights... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It just confirms that the two first recommendations apparently are good ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Always good to hear several people say the same thing, then you KNOW it has to be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Robban said:
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:

[/ QUOTE ]
It just confirms that the two first recommendations apparently are good ones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Always good to hear several people say the same thing, then you KNOW it has to be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Streamlight TaskLight 2-L does not have an Xenon bulb.

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Does NUWAI make one too ?? If so what model is it ?? I just want one that has a main bulb that is as bright as the Brinkman Maxfire that I bought from Walmart the other day. The LED's I would like just to be ble to powe the light when I do not need the super bright main bulb. Again thanks for any info and God Bless. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
There is the Nuwai AL606, I think. Also often found as Xenergy. Basically the same light that Streamlight sells, a little bigger, a little brighter. Both are unregulated, while the surefire is regulated. I have one of the Xenergy lights in my car. It's nice but a little big to carry, IMHO. I'm quite sure both have a xenon bulb.

Chrisse

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Maxfire Rechargeable and a Legend LX and I'd guess that they are roughly twice as bright as the incandescent setting on my Streamlight TwinTask 2L.

Another light worth looking into is the XenErgy which I believe is also called the Nuwai AL-606. According to Quickbeam's review, it is easily brighter and has more throw than the Streamlight TwinTask 2L. I've never seen one of the XenErgy lights, but it looks basically double the Streamlight but in just a slightly larger package - twice the incandescent brightness and has 3 or 6 LEDs to choose from rather than just 3.

Zigzago

Enlightened
I have a Browning 6V LED/Xenon model. It runs on 2 lithium 123s and has 3 modes: 3 LEDs, 6 LEDs and Xenon. The Xenon beam is a little ringy and oval shaped but overall I think it's a good solid light. Don't know if it's regulated. It's also more expensive than the Streamlight. I've heard people comment that the body of the Browning looks like a Nuwai.

STEVENT6

Enlightened
JDELUNA,

I've been considering the same thing and noticed that its a chore to research the lights available. Been looking for the light with about the same features you want. The features I want are a good beam equal to a surefire 2 or 3 cell 123 light and the leds to be about 12 to 15 for throw according to flashlightreviews.com throw chart. And of course I want it to be as compact as possible with other good features like being water proof and having at least a decent tailcap switch. Oh yea and also good quality at a cheap price. A 4AA light with these feature would also be ok. A tall order.

Good ones I found even though the lack some of the features I want are:

the Streamlight twin task lights.
some of the nuwai lights, The AL-606 (I believe the also make a 6AAA version).
Surefire A2

The best one I've found would be the surefire aviator but I'd like the led to have more output.

I also thought it would be good to just go with a variable output luxeon led. My reasoning is that the better ones on high can compete with the xenon bulbs, and they would be brighter then leds on lower levels. You won't have to worry about bulbs costing 2 to 25 dollars to replace. The best ones I found are the:

Tasklight 2L Luxeon III is made by Streamlight.
Nuwai ALX352L
And the surefire L2, U2.

Those are the best ones I found, as other people mentioned. I tried some of them out in stores but mostly read about them, including at this site. I also admit I don't own any of them (for now). For an all luxeon version the best one I think is the surefire U2.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I forgot about the Pila GL2 as well. Thats a pretty unique setup compared to the conventional ones mentioned... the Leds are on the tailcap end. Dunno if the bulb's a Xenon though, should be I think.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alex_Barton said:
What is the difference between regulated and unregulated?

[/ QUOTE ]
Alex, that relates more to the LEDs in a light. Regulated will give you constant brightness over a certain amount of time till the circuit has sucked the most out of the batteries, before dropping drastically to at least 50% if not more of the original brightness. Unregulated or Direct Drive will just power the Leds and dim gradually over a period of time.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stanley, from what I've seen (could be wrong) one of the unusual but appreciated aspects of the A2 is that its incandescent bulb is regulated. The beam of the xenon doesn't dim.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
If this was mentioned already, please excuse me but the first Xenon/LED flashlight that comes to mind is the XenErgy 3 in 1. Not as expensive as the A2 and it does the job. I dont find HA III a necessary part of a flashlight because like some others, I think that scratches and dents create character. Here is a review on the Xenergy.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/xenergy_3in1.htm

davidra

Enlightened
As long as there are three or six LED's sitting in the middle of the reflector, you're not going to get a beam like a regular Surefire, and that goes especially for throw. I have the TT2L and the Nuwai ALX352, which is a Lux III three level light. The ALX actually outthows the Xenon in the TT and has a much nicer beam, but it's definitely made for throw and not spill. The LED's on the TT provide more spill than the ALX. The ALX is also much bigger than the TT and doesn't have a lanyard attachment. They're both nice lights; the TT costs about half as much, and is a great car light. The ALX is more solid, has great throw for an LED, and is significantly bigger.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
You can't go wrong with the Pila series of tactical lights. They make the GL2, GL3, GL3X, and GL4 ("L" designates LED tailcap) They range from 80 lumens to 195 lumens for the main lamp(Xenon) and about 5 lumens from the LED tailcap which comes in red, green, amber, white, & IR. Let me know if you have any questions on these...

Regards,
Flavio
www.bugoutgearusa.com
Authorized Pila Dealer

JDELUNA

Newly Enlightened
Again I want to thank everyone for their info on all this, wow so much information and choices, so hard to choose !!!!! God Bless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif