What's a Grendelite tactical flashlight?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s a Grendelite tactical flashlight?

Anyone? Takes 8 AA batteries, all metal. Made by Grendel, the forerunner of Kel-Tec of pistol fame. Probably quite old.

grendel.jpg

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s a Grendel tactical flashlight?

I have a civilian version of this light. Mine is yellow plastic of some kind, and seems nearly indestructible. Very intense, tightly focused beam. I think it was a sort of short-lived idea, not real well executed for a field light. Changing batteries is a royal pain in the butt - not something you want to do in the battlefield, if you ask me. Short and pretty fat at 2 1/2 or 3 inches diameter - the 8 AAs are all in one AA length carrier.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's a couple quickies;

53068.jpg

53071.jpg

As you can see, the switch is a little lever affair which, while robust, is hard to manage. I'm surprised this one ever was considered as a tactical light.

Mike

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for pics. What kind of bulb does it use? I don't have mine in hand yet.

I guess this was considered a tactical light around the time some of the things in my collection were considered patrol lights. After all, other than the Ultra-G it's probably the shortest one I own. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

I don't have one of these, but I remember reading about them when they came out. These were considered very bright for their size. I think they were also advertized as weapon mounted lights.

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast

It uses a PR20. I just looked it up, and that is a 8.63V lamp. 8 AAs is 12V, so I'm guessing either they count on the batteries to sag a lot, or accept short runtimes. I've never run mine for more than a minute or two, so can't comment on runtime. But it is bright! Sadly, changing batteries requires a philips head screwdriver. You need to take off the head (and lose two springs while you're at it), then remove the two screws you see at the back that retain the clip, switch and battery carrier, which then falls out. Afterwards, you spend about 20 minutes finding all the pieces and reassembling the light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I can see this one being used by the tunnel rats in 'Nam; "Hold on a sec Mr. NVA - I'll have my batteries changed in just a few minutes. Hold these screws, will ya?"

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I got the thing today. Battery holder comes out the front after the bezel is unscrewed. There's also a second brightness setting that drives the bulb through a resistor. Can be mounted on a selection of machine pistols, according to the manual.

Best part of this thing is the owner's manual. Goes into great detail and length describing its features. Says how it's a "4th generation flashlight", and then has several paragraphs about the previous generations. Also has brightness and runtime graphs, specifications including what screw threads it uses, and loads of other useless information. Apparently is designed for limited use only based on the overdriven bulb.