UPS fire in Illinois.

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
Anybody loose anything in the UPS fire in Illinois? I don't have much shipped to me via UPS, but when it comes from the west, it passes through the UPS facility that burned the other day. Usually spends two days there, before a package moves again, in my direction.
oldgrandpajack

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.kirotv.com/news/4003008/detail.html
Wow, I work in a UPS hub, and this is the first I've heard of it. It could have been much worse though, the CACH (Chicago Area Consolidated Hub) where it happened is one of the biggest hubs in the country. Depending what time of the day it is, there could easily be up to about a half million packages on site. In a UPS hub though, the packages are spread out all over the facility, and the whole place would have to go up in flames to damage a lot of package volume. "Only" 2000 packages were apparently damaged or destroyed in the fire.

The "small" hub that I work at processes around 400,000 packages a day during peak season (right now), and I see a lot of packages every night that are either going to or coming from the CACH hub that had the fire. Considering that we'll be delivering up to 20 million packages a day during peak season, the odds of having a package that were damaged in that fire are extremely slim.

-Keith

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, thats rather too exciting isn't it

[ QUOTE ]
"A box came down the ramp into the truck on fire,"

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose any number of things in the mechanical systems there could have dropped burning oil or something on it as it went by. They say later in the article that none of the packages contained hazardous materials. But I wonder how they can know even what what was registered as hazardous in what was destroyed this soon. Much less know what someone might not have told them was in the box...

UPS will pretty much ship anything wont they? i know they take a lot more in the way of hazardous stuff than the post office will. Won't they?

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
We do take a lot of hazardous materials, but we take practically no explosives, and very little in the way of poisons, toxins, biohazards, or radioactive materials. Unfortunately the loading requirements for hazardous materials (including flammable solids, liquids, gases, and oxidizers) require that we load them in the back of the trailer close to the doors, so if any were present in any of the CACH trailers that burned, they would have gone up first.

Within a few minutes (a couple hours at the most), a list of all the packages that were destroyed could be compiled. Packages are scanned frequently in a hub for both internal and external tracking purposes, and the any hazardous materials are earmarked as such with their tracking information.

We find very little in the way of unmarked hazardous materials. There are very high federal fines and potential jailtime as deterents to people doing stupid stuff like that. Even we as UPS workers can be face some stiff fines and penalties if we deface or improperly handle a hazard. Any package is subject to being opened up (whether intentional or not) at just about anytime in the UPS system.

I'm really curious to know what the circumstances of this "flaming box" were. In my job at UPS, I'm the last one to handle a box before it goes down the slide into a trailer for shipment to another hub or package center, and I've had all sorts of packages break open and spill out, even hazards on occasion.

It just hit me, I believe that the CACH hub is much more automated than our hub here in Ohio is. I think my position is replaced by an automated conveyor system in Chicago, so the package could have travelled quite a distance in the CACH hub without human contact, whereas at my hub several people would have had contact with the package, and it likely could have been stopped before being sent into a truck. No person in their right mind (there are a few of us at UPS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) would put a box that is on fire into a semi trailer full of other boxes. In my case I'd stop the belt and start hollering "fire", and grab the nearest fire extinguisher. I guess a highly automated system like at CACH can have its drawbacks.

-Keith

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
Anybody loose anything in the UPS fire in Illinois? I don't have much shipped to me via UPS, but when it comes from the west, it passes through the UPS facility that burned the other day. Usually spends two days there, before a package moves again, in my direction.
oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]
According to the UPS tracking, I have a package at that facility right now. It is a shipment of green coffee beans. Since they arrived there at 1:55PM the 17th they were too late to get roasted courtesy of UPS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif