BD headlamps no longer using Willey Hunt's LVR's?

mrme

Enlightened
BD headlamps no longer using Willey Hunt\'s LVR\'s?

Well, My friend got a Space Shot 2 a couple years ago and the regulator it had did not appear to be a Willy Hunt LVR regulator. Now I just got a Supernova from the same generation of headlamps and its regulator does not appear to be one either. These just have the 1 LED.

The new one is about 7/8" X 1 9/16", while the LVR in my old Space Shot is 7/16" X 1 1/4" and says LVR on it. The new one bears no markings.

The old style had the LED DD off the 6 V battery. The newer (but still obsolete models) have the LED run off the aa's until they are depleted and THEN run off the 6 V.

I just tried the Energizer Double Barrel bulb in it and it works. It seems whiter, but I don't yet know what bulb life will be like. I REALLY want to try some other bulbs. SL TT either 2D or 1L and the Stinger bulbs are what I want to try.

I am trying to figure out if the regulator for the LED will run an LS. My Lunar I put an LS is the best light I own. If not, I may try and find an old style Super Nova.

mrme

Enlightened
Re: BD headlamps no longer using Willey Hunt\'s LVR\'s

Okay, I took the ligth apart and did some tests.
The LED is driven at a max of about 80 ma and less than 3 V. I put a LS in the circuit in place of the crummy LED and it will drive at about 130 ma and less tha 3 V. I think I need an LS with realy low Vf. The backup battery mode is 20 ma either LED and just over 3 V. I am not impressed. Perhaps this one is just deffective. I thought the LED was driven harder.

Back to the drawing board.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do not know this specific headlamp, but IMHO there is no Willie Hunt LVR for LEDs and never have been.
Willie's LVRs are only for incandescents.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a BD Supernova w/ incan and 2 leds, and both the leds and incan are regulated w/ three levels of output each.