Class 4 H & M

• Nuwai Q-III

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Q-III two-cell jobber thingy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those of you who have bought the two-cell Q-III looking thing that can be found on Ebay, what do you think of the light? How does it really compare to the Q-III for brightness and throw?

The Q-III seems to be a great light, but a tad on the small side for my taste. Heck, the knife I carry daily is bigger, and we wont even talk about the pistol.....

So if the 2 cell version is as good, or possibly better, I may go that way. I would really like to hear your thoughts first.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, does anyone have a picture of the Q-III up next to a 12 gauge shotgun shell? That would be a great way for me to truly see the diminuitive size of this light.

Osprey_Guy

Enlightened
Re: For those of you who have bought the 2 cell Q-

I am quite thoroughly pleased with QIII's "Mom"...The low setting is just right for when I come up to bed late, and don't want to wake my wife (I'm definitely a late-night guy...I'm either online or in my shop working on a new knife and typically don't come to bed until 2:00 am or later...Flashlights sure come in handy when you're a nite-owl like me). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The high setting is very close to the QIII in color, but not quite as bright...It gives a little less throw, but it has slightly more spill. At exactly 5", it's definitely a very nifty, useful little light...I carry it often.

But having said that, there's no getting past the wonderful light given off by my QIII...and it's fantastic small size. With an overall length of only 3 5/8" it still amazes me how so much (very white) light can come out of such a small device. When I wear it in it's pouch on my belt, I'm barely aware of it even being there. If I put my arm down to my side, it disappears.

Just last night I was doing some emergency repair in one of our bathrooms...I had to be able to peer down into the tank of the toilet while holding a pair of pliers in one hand and grabbing hold of a part of the fill valve with the other. Without even thinking I reached for my QIII, switched it on and put it in my mouth in order to free up both hands. Got the job done in short order (I will say, that the light does start to get warm after a few minutes...and my mouth is definitely more sensitive than my hands!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, QIII's Mom is great... but if given a choice I'd still go for the QIII.

beam_me_up

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:
Also, does anyone have a picture of the Q-III up next to a 12 gauge shotgun shell? That would be a great way for me to truly see the diminuitive size of this light.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go

Q312GA.jpg

beam_me_up

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Osprey_Guy said:

Just last night I was doing some emergency repair in one of our bathrooms...I had to be able to peer down into the tank of the toilet while holding a pair of pliers in one hand and grabbing hold of a part of the fill valve with the other. Without even thinking I reached for my QIII, switched it on and put it in my mouth in order to free up both hands. Got the job done in short order (I will say, that the light does start to get warm after a few minutes...and my mouth is definitely more sensitive than my hands!). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yowch! That must not have been very pleasant on the teeth. It's times like those I wish the Q3 was made out of Rubber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I havn't had to put my Q3 between my teeth yet for anything but I'm sure it'll come up sometime. Maybe I'll look for a nice piece of foam or something I can put a little ring of that over it that would be much better. Glad to see you are enjoying the Q3 as much as the rest of us!

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
beam_me_up said:
[ QUOTE ]
chevrofreak said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go

Q312GA.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much! That thing makes my M6 LED look massive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

12%20gauge%20M6.jpg

Robban

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
beam_me_up said:

Yowch! That must not have been very pleasant on the teeth. It's times like those I wish the Q3 was made out of Rubber /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I havn't had to put my Q3 between my teeth yet for anything but I'm sure it'll come up sometime. Maybe I'll look for a nice piece of foam or something I can put a little ring of that over it that would be much better. Glad to see you are enjoying the Q3 as much as the rest of us!

[/ QUOTE ]
How about a layer of self vulcanizing tape (I hope I got the translation right there hehe)? Just rap a few turns around it and cut away so that you have just enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would it be a terrible thing, were I to choose the 2 cell light, to remove the resistor from the PCB and just run it direct-drive? I imagine this would make the light quite bright.

Has anyone tested the voltage that the Q-III regulator puts out?

Tentou

Newly Enlightened

Direct drive versus regulated is a whole other ball of wax. There are probably a dozen threads on it.

PaulB

Newly Enlightened

They are both nice. I carry both always. Would be a terrible thing to separate the family !
I do like the Q3's size though.

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Tentou said:
Direct drive versus regulated is a whole other ball of wax. There are probably a dozen threads on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, my M6 LED is direct drive, and its pretty bright and has a good runtime. Also, removing the resistor, which is all that is used to "regulate" the two-cell light, would probably make the low setting brighter, wouldnt it?