TNC Hyperlux 3 Review (Pictures and Beamshots)

Free

Enlightened
I recieved my Hyperlux 3 from TNC Custom Products a few days ago. This is a beautiful 3 Watt Luxeon light.

This is a new design for TNC, and it is a winner. The flashlight has impecable fit and finish, with a new one piece head and body that gently curve together, with no seam whatsoever.

H3.JPG

The size of the light is closest to Elektrolumens XM2, but it is much lighter weight. The XM2 is about 147g with batteries, and the H3 is 114g with batteries. Do not mistake lightness for cheapness, because this light exudes quality construction. There is absolutely no battery rattle, and the light feels very solid, while fitting comfortably in the hand.

H3%20Size.JPG

The one I got is hard anodized natural, a beautiful color, with the tail cap a slightly different color, which I think is a nice compliment. The tail cap is the well designed recessed cap common on TNC lights, with the addition of slots that make it look more tactical.

H3%20Tail.JPG

The Hyperlux 3 takes 2 CR123 Lithium batteries, but it will also accept a single 18650 Lithium battery. All I have is the CR123's so I don't know if there is any brightness difference with the 18650. The H3 is regulated at 1 amp, but I am not set up for run time test, so I will leave that to others.

Here is a beam shot with the H3 on the left, next to the Elektrolumens XM3. The beam of the H3 is absolutely perfect, with a nice balance of center spot and corona.
H3%20Vs%20XM3.JPG

Here is the H3 on the left next to the Elektrolumens XM2. These are pretty well matched in brightness, but the H3 has a cleaner beam, with less artifacts.

H3%20Vs%20XM2.JPG

Here the H3 on the left is up against the Inova X03. The X03 is a little brighter and tighter focused.
H3%20Vs%20X03.JPG

Finally, here the H3 on the left is up against the Streamlight 2-L 3watt task light (on bright). The Streamlight has an amazing output, and is my brightest two cell, single 3W light. It does out do the H3 by a fair margin, but I am sure the H3 makes up for it in run time.
H3%20Vs%202L.JPG

Overall the Hyperlux 3 from TNC Custom Products is a real winner. A beautifully made light with a fit and finish second to none. My only desire would be that it was just a little brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like an awesome light. Nice review and beamshots. Nice to see a comparison of lights in that class.

gorlank

Enlightened
Awesome light, and great review! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the 123's have a fair margin of space around them? It's pretty unusual for 18650's to fit a 123 tube. Just curious.
If you have the means to charge them I could send you a couple 18650's for pretty cheap as I've raided them from laptop batteries.

Free

Enlightened
Xochi, there is extra room inside the tube around the 123's but they don't rattle because the spring keeps them tightly in place. I don't have a way to charge the 18650's but thanks for the offer.

Free

Enlightened
I forgot to include the picture of the head:
H3%20Head.JPG

Also, it comes with a very nice holster:
H3%20Holster.JPG

Cones

Enlightened
Nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I got mine yesterday!!!

It is again one of the best machined lights I have seen.

Pics and review will follow in the next few days.

Mark

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Thanks for the photos. It is nice to see where the light fits in rather then just what it is better then, like many reviews do.