Saw my first U2 today...its BIG!

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was completely shocked at how large this light is!

I'm not sure how anyone EDC's it except in a pouch!

Guess I was expecting something more like the A2 size, and instead its MUCH larger.

To each his own, but this light seems to negate the advantage of using small cells like the 123.

Bill

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The U2 is the last flashlight you will ever need. It is a little bigger than expected, may be, but every component or dimension has a reason to be as such.
If you carry the U2, it replaces all category of lights in terms of flood and throw, brightness and runtime. Unless, of course, you need a high power incandescent.
I'm sure that a rotating belt pouch will solve the problem. If I can add a comment, SureFire CHANGED the size of EDC. An epocal change...

Anthony

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is big. I'm mentally prepared because I used to EDC a C2, pocket-carried. This is probably a first step, it would seem that the logical progression of the U2's technology would trickle down to an Executive-series light once they figure out how to miniaturize it, or, if photos on PK's site are anything to go by, trickle UP into this beast with a Millenium Turbohead AND the U2's selector dial, as seen in one pic.

But you're right, it would be impossible to carry in dress pants and shirt. I guess that's why I still have my E2e-SG for those occasions where I HAVE to wear a tie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bravado

Newly Enlightened
I received mine a couple days ago and overall I am very pleased with it. Slightly big for an edc for me but I'm trying to get used to it.

luxlover

Banned
Bravado,
You will get used to it, rest assured! The U2 has so much going for it, that you will find a way to carry it everywhere you go. It is an EDS (EveryDaySleep) light, as well as an EDC light. Some of us keep it in bed with us.....just for safekeeping!!! Enjoy it!

teststrips

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
Some of us keep it in bed with us.....just for safekeeping!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, just did a bit of research for this U2 light. $260 bucks??? wow.. no wonder why you keep it with you in bed.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wear dress khakis at work and the U2 carries nicely in my front right pocket - no noticeable bulge and I don't really even notice it. I say I wouldn't carry it with true dress slacks, except luxlover is right: so far, I'm finding a way to carry it all the time. Now that cold weather is here, the Security pocket (left breast) of my Columbia Bugaboo parka is the perfect place to carry it. It seems almost made for the U2.

The only improvement I can think of would be a low level similar to an UltraG/KeyMate/PhotonIII. I carry a Photon III covert all the time, though, so it's not big deal.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Ray_of_Light said:
The U2 is the last flashlight you will ever need. Anthony

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I've seen this before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
By the way - I've had a Nite Ize AA Grip N Clip for a few yars that fits the U2. It's a tight fit, to be sure, but that and the U2's checkering insures that it isn't coming off. A short slit in the neoprene to create a hole for the clip to go through will make it easier than sliding the neoprene over the clip. I may also try one of their Lite Rings. I'm happy with pocket carry for the most part, but a Nite Ize is more convenient.

I think the U2 is closer to "the last flashlight you will ever need" than any other light to date - at least until we have a sub-7", adjustable 5-2000 lumen output, $500 or less Beast!

Robban

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:
[ QUOTE ]
Ray_of_Light said:
The U2 is the last flashlight you will ever need. Anthony

[/ QUOTE ]

hey, I've seen this before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I was thinking /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif In my short time here on CPF I've seen that statement shot down atleast once before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Getting one for Christmas, but its hard to keep my hands off of it. Only a week to go.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still would never trust one flashlight as "the only one I'll ever need" or "the last one I'll ever need". What if it breaks? Batteries die? Gets dropped or lost or stolen? You're out a lot of money and have no light. Heck, I liked my Inova X03, but I dropped it 3' onto a hardwood floor a few weeks ago in our attic and now its dead. I'll still carry my two or three lights with me when I go out (all are smaller and less expensive than the U2 - ARCs and SFs), and I have backups. I'm sure the U2 is great (I would expect nothing less from SureFire), but it is the first "latest greatest Surefire" that's come out in the last few years that I haven't bought or wanted to buy.

-Keith

PhantomZ

Enlightened
i EDC my U2 on my belt all the time when wearing jeans. front pocket if cargo. i dont have a problem with the size but i would say i dont want to EDC anything else that would be bigger then the U2, unless i'm carrying it in a back pack. i just wish the U2 works all the same BUT in the size of the L2 which use to be my EDC...

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I don't understand why someone would think this is bigger than they thought. It's not bigger than it's brother, the L5. The U2 is not an "E" series light and never was meant to be. I actually thought it was a bit smaller than I expected.

Isn't bigger always better? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

luxlover

Banned
Sean is correct. The U2 is the same length as the L2 and L5. It is 1 1/2 ounces heavier than the L2, and 1 1/2 ounces lighter than the L5. If you are used to the L5, be happy. If you are used to the L2, go join a gym and do weight training!!!!!

We humans are a wonderful species. If we allow ourselves, we can adapt to anything......if we allow ourselves that is!!! If you like the U2 enough, you will find a way to comfortably carry it.

PhantomZ

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:

We humans are a wonderful species. If we allow ourselves, we can adapt to anything......if we allow ourselves that is!!! If you like the U2 enough, you will find a way to comfortably carry it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree totally. some officers i've read about in CPF carry D cell mag lights during their duty and they still do despite all the talk about smaller, brighter lights. some would even carry another light as backup around the size of the U2.

luxlover

Banned
If the police can carry a 2D or 3D cell monster plus a U2, for eight long hours of "apprehending evil perpetrators", then we can certainly carry one measly 5.7 ounce U2 by itself, can't we!