Hissing sound from Badboy sandwich

BayMoe

Newly Enlightened
Just made two sandwiches with badboy 730 and 650 boards with T binned emitters. Everything was great until about less than 15 minutes of use. The sandwich with the higher current started to produce a hissing sound while on. The output is now dramatically reduced, not even anything close to the other sandwich set at a lower current. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Faulty board? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Might be "arcing" because of bad electrical contact somewhere.

Clean all contact surfaces and check all accessible solder joints and try again ...

bernhard

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm that happened with my madmax in a Micromag before. It didnt dim or anything and I was a bit concerned about the light. I turned it offand I realized it was the creaking of the spring on my kroll!! I was able to prove this by taking the kroll from the light and clicking it. Yep, it was the kroll.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both the BB650 sammies in my FF2s will "hiss" during the transition from low to high if the head is twisted slowly. It happens when they are not making good contact I think, because the hissing goes away if I tighten the head a bit more. Anybody else ever notice this?

Peter

BayMoe

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mags_despiser said:
Hmmmm that happened with my madmax in a Micromag before. It didnt dim or anything and I was a bit concerned about the light. I turned it offand I realized it was the creaking of the spring on my kroll!! I was able to prove this by taking the kroll from the light and clicking it. Yep, it was the kroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was not the case... the hissing sound was still evident after the Kroll switch was removed and a multimeter set for amp readings completed the circuit.

I also tried cleaning the contacts and made sure everything was not shorted. Pressed down on the emitter to disconnect and reconnect the circuit to the minimag to rid of any possible bad contacts between the battery tube and the ground, but the hissing is still there. I'm stumped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
micromag???

Is this a single 1.5V cell light? If so, the badboy minimum voltage is 1.6V. It will never even come close to any reasonable output with less than 1.6V.

For a single 1.5V cell light the Madmax is a better choice.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about switching the Sandwiches in the host lights to see if it eliminates the sound? Then you will know if it is the light making the noise or the Sandwich.

BayMoe

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
dat2zip said:
micromag???

Is this a single 1.5V cell light? If so, the badboy minimum voltage is 1.6V. It will never even come close to any reasonable output with less than 1.6V.

For a single 1.5V cell light the Madmax is a better choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're used in minimags, 2AA.

[ QUOTE ]
ubermensch said:
They hiss when they are straining to stay in regulation, did you try it on multiple sets of batteries?

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be it.... I too thought this was the case, but the Duracell Nimh 2050mah AA cells were fresh off the charger having been cycled no less than 4 or 5 times... I guess the M binning of the Lux3 didn't help in efficiency.

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
scrap the anode contact. The contact may have some flux residue and might not be making good contact.

The top of the module must make good electrical contact. Even the smallest dust/debris can foul up the sandwich from working at it peak.

When the module is removed, look down at the end of the tube. If it's not shiny aluminum and black looking it will need to be cleaned too.