How to safely use Ebay?

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I intend to sell something on Ebay, but do not want to get burned.

are there any pointers/suggestions?

Bob

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just using common sense will go a long ways to having a good eBay experience. This goes for buying or selling. As a seller, it's pretty tough to get burned on eBay. As a buyer you need to be a little more cautious, but the vast majority of eBay transactions are "on the level".

Peter

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a reserve price.

Start with a low bid.

If the item doesn't sell for your reserve price you can always relist it. If a buyer doesn't pay then just relist the item.

You won't get burned at Ebay if you just give it to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got almost 1,100 transactions at Ebay and have only been burned three times so the odds are good you have mostly honest/naive/ buyers and sellers. Bad apple Ebayers do not last long or have to jump through hoops to stay ahead of the Ebay LEOs.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can simply put a starting price on the item which is the minimum amount you would be willing to sell it for. You can also include buy it now feature which allows the buyer to buy it immediately and end auction. You can have them deposit funds though paypal or money order(was most often used choice of the past). I have found using the buy it now option which is usually a few dollars more than the listing price to be a good way to go. If someone wants your item at a fair price they can end auction and pay you right away. I think many people are turned off by the secret reserve price because they have no idea how much they must bid to win item. Usually the buyer must be more wary than the seller as far as rip offs are concerned.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are more ebay suggestions-

1) Provide a good, clear description of your item, including age, condition, amount of use, etc.
2) Provide good photos of the item.
3) List your terms for payment. If you don't want to take a personal check then state that in your listing.
4) List your terms for shipping and give a rate if possible. Of if the rate will vary a lot depending on how far it is being shipped then state that the buyer will pay for actual shipping charges.
5) Consider requiring insurance on the shipment, or at least some form of tracking so you can find out where the item went.
6) Pack the item well enough that you know it will get there in good shape.

georget98

Enlightened
If you get paid via PayPal ship using delivery confirmation to a PayPal confirmed address. If the selling price is over $250, ship with signature confirmation. Doing this means if the buyer claims to PayPal they didn't get your widget, you can prove to PayPal that you actually shipped it; thus avoiding a chargeback.

ebay has a shipping calculator you can use. Just plug in your zip code and the package weight when you create the listing. Some sellers refuse to use it. I don't know why.

One of my alter-egos is Professor Auction, I teach ebay classes at the local night school.