Lionheart LED Replacement

Radiant

Newly Enlightened
I would assume it better to replace the whole star so you would not have to worry about centering the emitter yourself?

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
You would replace the whole star, and it couldn't be much easier. You just need to make two solder connections. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spoke to Mr Bulk and he recomends a J voltage bin...I was going to swap mine with a TWOJ untill I found out that is what I already have . The VIP looks alot brighter though but I have no way to actualy purchase a better Binned LED since the one that is in there is supposed to be the best of the best already.. Damn you Luxeon Bin Code gods (the creators of all bin codes)!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Ray, if you can solder, you can swap. Replace the entire star, of course. I know you don't care for the blue-white color (my favorite actually) so when you take it off I would gladly swap you for a TWOJ.

MrMimizu

Enlightened
If I replace mine with a TWOH would there be any problems? I guess before I do this, can anyone tell if I'd get much improvement in runtime?

Amorphous

Enlightened
The 3.7 volt will somewhat fry the low Vf of the TWO(H) emitter at high power. (H) emitter has the forward turn on voltage starting at 3.03V to 3.27V

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
MrMimizu said:
If I replace mine with a TWOH would there be any problems? I guess before I do this, can anyone tell if I'd get much improvement in runtime?

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be brighter, although we all know what happens to "the candle that burns brightest"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad71.gif

Then again if you think of it as simply a "bulb change" involving a little more hassle (soldering two wires) then...

Also it has been my experience that a slightly lower Vf will not result in catastrophic, dramatic failure. More like a gradual and ever-more-noticeable dimming over time.

So go for it! In fact - I'd like to see how bright a TxxG really could be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Other than the wires being soldered onto the star is that anything else holding the star in place? Removeal of the bezel cap and reflector clearly expose the star. Is it glued or held in at all?