Smallest keychain LED I've ever seen - 1/3rd size

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smallest keychain LED I\'ve ever seen - 1/3rd size

I was introduced to an unbelievably small keychain LED today - a tiny little marvel of engineering. This one is so small you could fit THREE of them into the size of a regular keychain LED. Just when I thought they couldn't get any smaller..?!

I managed to get one for myself (just one, no, sorry, I'm not sure if I can get any more but I will let you folks know if I can), took it home and took it apart. It's a 3 millmeter LED with one of the nicest beams I've ever seen, smooth, TY0L-ish HID blue, powered by two lithium 1220 cells. Half the capacity of regular cells, but this lil light sure is sweet. Slide switch included. I think it's REALLY cool and this is a keeper.

Heck it's the size of a PR bulb. If I could get any more of these, they would actually be great to stash inside larger flashlights with bulb holders (like the famous one with the spring, foam and bulb in the tailcap). It can be just like the refrigerator light that comes on when you open it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Has anybody seen anything like this before?

1220 light shown with larger 2016 cousin most of us are familiar with:
picolight1.jpg

picolight2.jpg

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: Smallest keychain LED I\'ve ever seen - 1/3rd s

Looks about the size of an Abitex Tag light, but with better construction. If the price is reasonable I'll buy a couple.

I think you could stash a regular 2016 coin light inside those big lights (at least the D powered versions and maybe the C powered) if you really wanted to. Or you could put it on the lanyard if the light has one.

It would be nice if they made an even smaller (thinner) version, with a green or amber led and just one 1220. It would be dimmer but have much longer runtime than the 2x1220 white led version.

Is the bigger light in the picture actually your CR1616 light?

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yup, the big one is the 2 x CR2016. I don't have a 1616.

I wish I could get more of the small ones, the place said they only had one sample of the small one and as a flashaholic I just HAD to have it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif it is surprisingly well built. Told them to get me some, we'll see whether it turns out.

BTW, your 2016s will be on the way shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cute! I have a couple of 2016s, they are very handy when looking for keyholes. Not very good for extended running period. At 6v the poor LED is OVERdriven at around 70-90mA. Only good for short blast and will die soon. I am thinking of installing the high power 80mA LEDs in to these.

paulr

Flashaholic

Kevin, wait a sec, did I order 2016's? I thought they were 1616's. Oh well, doesn't matter, I can always use more 2016's. I only have about 40 of them right now, I'm almost out! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

koala: yup, they are all direct drive. I am not a heavy user, I use my year-old P1 as a backup of last resort, but a friend is a heavy Photon 2 user, and his LED is still going strong after a year plus. It may be the Nichias are more robust. Good point though. Perhaps that is the difference between a $15 and $1.25 light? I'd be interested in finding out the lifecycle of these things too.

paulr: oops! You can still turn back. The lights are going out in 18 hours time so if you want to, you can still cancel the shipment. I wouldn't stick ya with something you don't need.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast

Be sure to let us know when you can sell these little guys.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brock

Flashaholic

I have one of those in white, very nice little light, the run time isn't very long, I would guess 30 min to 50%? But for a keychain light you can't beat the size /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Cool light!
Are they or will they be for sale *somewhere* in the not-too-distant future? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

Availability is a big question mark, but if I do manage to get my hands on some, I'll let you guys know. Even if my guys don't bring this one in, I hope someone else does. Heck I'd buy it. I wanted a dozen and I had cold hard cash, but there was only one...

I checked with Energizer's datasheets (mine had Panasonic cells), 1220 cells have 40mAH capacity, which is really a not. The 1220 lights are not as bright as their bigger 2016 cousins, but they are close. The 3mm LED produces a very nice, smooth flood that is effective up to 15ft in total darkness! As Brock has said, I wouldn't count on these little things being able to keep up the pace for long - 1220 cells have REALLY low capacity.