Surefires & Mis-shaped Beam Patterns

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've recently noticed that my G2Z, Z3, and A2 have all developed beam patterns that are strangely MagLite-like.

The G2Z is the least effected - it simply has a few circular lines at the edge of the spill in one quarter of the beam.

The Z3 and the A2 have large, irregular bagel-shaped darkened areas around the spot followed by a few rings of alternating brighter light around the periphery of the spill. The darkened area around the hot spot covers about 30-40% of the spill area.

I've cleaned both sides of the bezels (A2 outside only) with a quality lens cleaner, so I know there's nothing on the bezels. I can't see any damage to the lenses, bezels, or lamps.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I recently cleaned the o-rings and put some silicone grease on them. When I replaced the bezels, I tightened them hand tight, not as tight as possible, but close. I wonder if I warped the reflectors, or possibly pushed the bulbs slightly forward and out of focus. I've got spare P60/P90 I can try in my G2Z & Z3, but the A2 worries me.

Hopefully a bulb change will fix the G2Z and Z3, but I suspect the A2 may have to go back to SF for repair.

Anyone else seen this? I sure would appreciate any ideas you may have, or suggestions on how to fix it.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
kongfuchicken said:
If you have the new bulbs with frosted tips, then you'll probably get the dark "oval" arround the hotspot...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm...not for the G2Z/Z3, but the A2 does have a frosted tip. Not only that, but I just noticed that the tip is off-center a bit, maybe 1/64" or so.

Why on earth would they frost the tips if it causes a dark oval?

Anyway, thanks for the info guys.

Anyone else?

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
codeman said:

Why on earth would they frost the tips if it causes a dark oval?

[/ QUOTE ]

it blocks the light directly in front of the bulb; if there were no reflector, you'd see a "hole" in the light but since the reflector is here to make a hotspot, you'll see part of the dark hole arround the hotspot...
I think the frosted tip is supposed to remove the image of the filament in the beam but blocks most of the light coming out there.
I have old and new P61s and N1 LAs and the frosted ones have the dark surroundings.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
That makes sense, though I prefer the old style.

Still, I have no idea what's going on with my G2Z/Z3 - neither has a frosted-tip bulb. I'd suspect the bulb in both of these, except that I know neither bulb was doing this a month ago. That's why I'm wondering if I did something to cause it. I never handle actual bulbs, nor try to adjust them, so I'm at a loss.

I rarely use the A2's incandescent, so I probably just didn't notice it before.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Codeman:
I too have noticed my p60 lamp has these same circular lines you mentioned. I noticed it after the third set of batteries in my M2. The p61 doesn't have this artifact.
I closely examined the lens and reflector and am convinced it is something with the filament. It almost looks like a wrinkle or something.
I was also wondering about this but didnt think too much about it untill i seen your post. I've been using the p61 lately, but I'm gona put the p60 back in and use it as my daily work light and see what happens.