VIP BH throw comparison to regular VIP?

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone compare or show pictures of the VIP with and without the BulkHead? Does it make the light a little or a lot more useful? Or is it only good for throw?

I am just wondering if I should get one. The cost of the BulkHead is what I normally spend for a flashlight. The VIP is the only CR123 light I have. The rest are AA or AAA using rechargeables.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Are you running the SO17XA reflector in your VIP? If you're using the Fraen LP optic, a reflector has spill that is considered more useful.

Throw is definitely a lot better with the BH. I think the SO17XA has a larger, dimmer hotspot and approximately the same spill. I'm going from memory, and I've never done a head-to-head test.

If you don't have one, a 2xAA body will probably be more useful to you.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I've got some beamshot comparisons in my VIP review

The stock reflector is best for task use - anything close-up. You can still throw light 20-30 yards, but it's best for short-range stuff.

The BH is still allright for task use - it's hardly a lightpencil - but throws a good deal further. I'd say that the BH is good to ~100 yards in near-total darkness.

The BBH goes further, but they haven't been released yet.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great, thanks idleprocess.

Great pictures. Very interesting. I would have thought there was a bigger difference. But maybe it doesn't show up until greater distances? Seems like with and without are almost the same except for low.

Flatscan, this may sound wierd, but I don't have the VIP yet. It is sittign in a box under my Christmas tree. As for the 2AA body, well I have a couple 2AA lights running rechargables. So I thought this would be a good lithium reliable light that I wouldn't worry about the charge having be lost sitting on the shelf. But maybe I should think about the AA body. Maybe I will know more after I use it for awhile.

Flatscan

Enlightened
PocketBeam, sounds like a great Christmas present to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If your VIP came with a reflector, it would be the SO17XA. The earliest ones shipped with the Fraen LP optics, though many were shipped from MR BULK with both optic and reflector. Reflectors were also made available in the aftermarket by Chop and flashlightlens.com, IIRC. Just be aware that you cannot tighten the head all the way down with the reflector.

My "test" for BH throw was shining it out my apartment window at the semi-lit ground, while holding my VIP in a two-handed death-grip. BH had a somewhat visible spot, stock was completely washed out. At the time, I didn't have any other 27mm reflectored lights, so it seemed pretty good. It's still my top thrower for the time being.

Holding off for the time being might be a good idea. You can figure out if you can deal with a slightly larger head or a longer body and if you need the added functionality of either.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Flatscan. LOL at deathgrip. Hm, top thrower for the BH seems enticing. What is your second best thrower so I know what you compared it to. Looking at yoru list I would guess it beats everythign else on the list. Sounds pretty good.

As for bigger head, well I don't belt carry right now. My edc is a AAA pocket light. So I think this is already too big for pocket carry, so a bigger head should be a big deal.

Thanks again.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote for the BH. I was very impressed with my original VIP that came with a Fraen optic. Then I got a reflector from Chop and was more impressed (much cleaner beam). Next was a BH and I'm hooked.

Like you said, the VIP is already too big for me for EDC (I carry it in my Fat Boy side pocket). I was very impressed with the difference in the larger head and where I usually like the smallest possible lights, I actually prefer the look of the VIP with the BH. It looks more like a traditional miniature flashlight. Because of its overall size, I think the BH is the right "standard" head for the VIP. At least for me, that's what's staying on it.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Oops, for some reason, I completely forgot that I have a LionHeart, which comes with the SO27XA stock. I also did the "stick it out the window" test, and it performed well also. I think it may have been a rainy night when I tested the LH, so there was better reflectivity off the ground. I can't do head-to-head tests, as I'm definitely not dangling both of them out the window. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Also, it's waaay too cold.

The LH is DD at around 1200mA, while the VIP high is 750mA regulated, so I think the LH is perceptibly brighter. The light I had in mind for comparison is a LuxV Aleph1. It has a much larger hotspot, but not as much punch. It was barely visible on the ground.

My feeling was that the VIP is too big for pocket carry, at least without a clip, and the BH just makes it worse. I've sort of gotten used to the extra size of a head with 27mm reflector, so my feelings might have changed.

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I have a BH, but currently use the Fraen because I like the way to throws out a block of light instead of a ramped circle. The Fraen works well when I need to use the light for finding something in the 3 to 10 foot range (rummaging around my apartment). My VIP shipped with the Fraen well aligned, but I screwed it up (no big deal since I now like the squarish beam).

I already have a good thrower in my LionHearts, so for now, the VIP keeps the Fraen.

Erik.