What board....my head hurts!!!

ODatsBright

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've been reading and searching for about 3 hours now (its 01:27) and my head really hurts. I've read a lot in the Shoppe sections, bugged Georges80 and have read till my eyes feel like they've bled.

I did a DD 3C mod and love it. I have a few TWOJ's on their way and want to do a 2C (perfect size IMHO) Magmod and I don't know which is the best board to use. Talking to georges80, the VIP board seems good to use but then reading about the BBNexgen, they seem good too...then there are the wizard boards.....arrrgh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So, first I'm looking to do a 2C magmod with a 3W LED at high current 800+mA (preferably 1A) from NiMH cells with good regulation and second I'll want to do a 5W magmod with a 2D (with AA pak of some flavor) at 1A or so and would like to know what the best board for this would be. Downboy? I also have a fatman which would step up for 5W which might be a good choice too as I have some 11AH D's.

Help and advise is much appreciated.
Thanks again, this group is awsome!!

Flatscan

Enlightened
2C, LuxIII: Vin = 2.4V, Vf ~ 3.5V; boost driver - NexGen, VIP, Fatman; BadBoy will work

Since you have the extra physical space, I would go with the Fatman or maybe the VIP. All 3 of these boards will work, have superior efficiency, and have similar pricing. The NG's primary advantage is that it will fit in a sandwich or Ecan unmodified. VIP and FM both have multiple levels, implemented differently, but the VIP requires SMD soldering to set up the lower levels.

2D/AA pack, LuxV: Vin = 7.2V (6AA) or 9.6V (8AA), Vf ~ (S) 5.91V-6.39V (T) 6.39V- 6.87V; buck driver - DownBoy (easy); possibly nFlex or uFlex (adjustable brightness)

The DownBoy is easiest, as it has a relatively small overhead and transitions neatly into direct-drive once Vin < Vf. The nFlex and uFlex will give you adjustable brightness, controlled sort of like a LionHeart in default mode. I think an nFlex mod will give you the most functionality (dimming and sleep mode), but there are some caveats.

The uFlex/nFlex have an overhead of approximately 1V, i.e. Vin > Vf + 1V. The uFlex keeps running (I think it drops into direct-drive), but the nFlex shuts off. You would definitely need to run a 8AA pack to use either of these. The uFlex is pretty large and will take a little work to get into your light. The nFlex is significantly smaller. You also have to modify your Mag switch from a click-on to momentary on.