CMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edison

Enlightened
I'm looking for a really small, low-powered, red LED floodlight for the times that night vision preservation is important. I like the Inova lights, but the X5 is too big, and the beam of the X1 is too narrow. I'm thinking about getting a couple of the CMGs with red LEDs.

One thing I've noticed about lights that use a LED of a color other than white is their less than perfect beam. In my experience they are full of artifacts. Because of this, all of my lights use a white LED, with the exception of my Surefires, which are all incandescent. However, I do have one Inova microlight with a red LED. It has the usual artifact filled beam, but this is acceptable considering its low cost and limited use. I've got a few white ones as well, and although they have a bluish tint I like the nice clean flood beam they produce.

So what kind of beam quality can I expect from a red CMG? I think this would be a good light to have, since it will be more weather resistant than my microlight. Especially with an Energizer lithium AA. Can anyone post a beam shot of the red LED CMG? Or maybe there is a suitable light that I've overlooked? Remember, it has to be small and use an LED. Thanks.

C

Cosmic Superchunk

The only task is tyring to find an original CMG Infinity with a red LED. CMG was acquired by Gerber some time ago and all of the current Gerber Infinities I've seen have a white LED. I'm not sure if they produce them with red LEDs, but Gerber has recently released the Recon.

Recon2.jpg

Recon4.jpg

It's basically a Gerber Infinity with 4 lens filters: White/Blue/Green/Red. The LED itself is white, but with the lens filters the beam is diffused a bit. Here's a beam shot of the Gerber Recon with the red lens:

GerberRecon013.jpg

For some reason, I can't post a link to the thread, but you can read my impressions of this little light if you do a search for "Recon" in the LED forum.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why don't you just shop for 5mm red LEDs until you find one that you like and then install it in a $1.00 coin cell light? You can't get any smaller or cheaper than that.

You'll need to switch the two CR2016 cells out for a single CR2032.

davidra

Enlightened
Doesn't Battery Station have a closeout on some old red led infinities?

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Dorcy 3 LED / 1AA with a Surefire flip up red filter. The red filter produces a nice smooth flood beam.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NightCutter NC003CC Chart light uses three red LEDs at ~626 nm. Using three of them reduces the problem of beam artifacts IMO. The Chart light is built on the 'Sport' body, so it is VERY small for a 2xCR123 light. Design and build quality are very high. I ran one through the washer by accident with no ill effects. It is a great light for under $30.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
I have two Infinitys with red LEDs. I have a few lights with red LEDs and Luxeons. The Infinitys are smoother than most. They have a square hotspot with two red rings of spill light. I can't see the actual shape of the die or the wire leads.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
My old CMG Infinity with red LED has a real nice smooth deep red beam. I wish I'd bought 2-3 of 'em.

Also I second Sub's comments above about the NC Chartlight. Nice compact light that'll make you tired trying to run the batteries down in it.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
A local shop here in Hawaii that caters to LEO's has 3 or 4 of the old CMG Red LED lights for sale....I didn't get the price, but I can find out if anyone is interested.