Kind of place CPF is, A Christmas Story!! Revised

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have discussed this with him and Cue003 is OK with being named, please don't overwhelm him asking for similar actions, because I am sure he would do it if it was in his power.

If I had named the individual whom I am about to describe I would have had to initially put this in Cheers and Jeers...But I didn't want to because it is emblematical of the kind of people that are here on this forum. (If you read ALL the forums and threads you might figure it out. Maybe I'll say yes if someone does and posts it here!)

I recently came across a light I desperately wanted to own. I contacted Cue003 who was willing to sell it for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the cost was more than I could handle right now at Christmas, and I explained that. He understood. We ****ered a little about possible trades.

Unfortunately, in the end, he couldn't accept any of my offers.

BUT then, he PM'd me and offered the following:

"So, here is what I would do for you out of trust (it is somewhat amazing to feel like you could genuinely trust someone without ever meeting them face to face or hearing their voice on the phone) and the fact that it is Christmas...... I will package and send the light package as it is listed in the thread to you as early as first thing tomorrow morning IF you respond to this post in agreement with a potential date for payment....or even maybe a payment plan option over 2 payments or something."

What a great Christmas Present!! Any place that engenders this kind of trust must be a good place to be!!

This is one of the few positive affirmations I have had of the genuine goodness of people lately, and I think it is at least partially due to the atmosphere of trust and safety endgendered here and closely watched over by the mods.

Thank you Cue003, CPF, and THANK YOU to all the CPF'ers who contribute time and effort to being nice.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Bill

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Re: The kind of place CPF is, A Christmas Story!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wow.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Wisti

Newly Enlightened

I´ve made the same experience .
Any time I needed help or information and asked a CPF-member for it , I got it !

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif for CPF

greenLED

Flashaholic

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grouphug.gif CFR'ers rule!!

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must say I have learned quite a bit from many of the members on this board. Many of the creations on here are just simply amazing. People put their hearts into some of their lights and those modders/creators that are out there routinely go above and beyond for their customers.....and i am not just talking their loyal customers but also for the guy/girl that comes on here with one post as well.

I have always gotten my questions answered and been able to give my opinion freely. I can't say that this same freedom and respect is given on any of the other boards that I participate in. I buy something from someone on here and they follow up quickly with shipping information, thanks yous etc and make sure the sale goes well. You even get those that have the humor and can take a nudge in the ribs as well as hand them out. It is great.

All this and many of the members on here never meet face to face.

I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! It makes me broke.. but it also gives me hope that I can sell and start again.

Merry Christmas to ALL.

Curtis

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow! I'm sure you're gonna LOVE the LionHeart (if my guess is correct). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif CPF is such a great community. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BVH

Flashaholic

What do I know....I'm just an ignorant newbie but the always friendly help and information I have been given in just over a few months, says alot obout this "place". It is truly Wonderful! No one has been snippy or even remotely rude. Thank you EVERYBODY for giving me such pleasure! HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bill,

Thanks so much for posting this Christmas story. If you stay on CPF long enough, you are bound to have at least one of these stories. I have two. No, actually more. But I won't go into them, because then it would--as you point out--belong in the cheers and jeers forum. Let's just say that the people here on CPF are (as a rule) really good people.

And you're one of them, Bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family.

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I'm very new to CPF, I've felt welcome since post 1, not because I got a bunch of "welcomes", but because I was treated with the same respect and acceptance of older members.

While on the surface, it does seem to be a rare thing, I don't think it is quite so rare as we sometimes imagine.

As the world gets crazier, we all want/need people we can trust more and more. Common bonds are what trust is usually built upon. I've seen the same at a couple of knife forums.

I think when people with common interests share honestly about those interests, the only logical consequence is the trust you're talking about.

Personally, I think it can be easier to truly get to know someone over the internet for the simple reason that the anonymity it gives us allows us to be more open and less reserved. It's ironic that a cold medium allows us to be more ourselves.

For me, as great and heartening as your story is, the really amazing part is that it exists in an open arena where detractors can exist, but they can't destroy what we have.

Now there's something to be grateful for!

I need to be reminded of these things from time to time, so thanks for posting it!

Hmmm...maybe I shouldn't have drunk 2 egg nogs...

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ain't CPF GRAND?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Many hobbists are really trusting people! When I went to pentrace (fountain pen forum)because I was eager to learn more about them and ask what should be my first pen, I got a dozen in the mail. (I'm 16 and it for them, it was nice to see young guys have such interests) I was sooo grateful. Well, I had to return the favor. On bladeforums, I had a CRKT KFF I was gonna give to a friend, but I decided not to. I meant to trade it away, but a guy who wanted it didn't have anything I want. Well, I decided, "what the heck, you can have it"! He was very grateful as well!
Welcome to CPF and enjoy your stay!

junior

Enlightened

What an awesome story. I actually have guns and knives and belong to other forums for guns, knives outdoors etc, but CPF has been the forum i have grown to love.

I have done the same in the BST non-lights forum regarding some outdoor gear i have. I have set prices, but i stated that anyone could make offers and who knows......

I have sold alot of gear on ebay with great success, but wanted to offer the gear here in the hopes that if some CPF folks do not have or desire outdoor gear they could get at a price they could afford or maybe trade etc.

To be honest, i actually have an eBaystore and took the gear out to offer it to some CPF folks if they need it.

Anyhow, cool story....

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Bill,

It is nice to hear that the spirit of trust, decency, and kindness still lives on. Thank you for sharing this.

Kind of reminds you of Christmas...

Tom

Luminosus

Newly Enlightened

Bwaites, very nice Christmas story. Codeman, are you on the Benchmade Knife Forum? If you are, I am Razorsharp.

DaGeek

Enlightened

Thanks for the story. It warms my heart to see that there is trust and honor in this world that sees so many of this things abused. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RH

Enlightened

Hi Bill,

That's a great story, but I'm not at all surprised. I visit many forums but there's something special about the people at CPF. I've tried to figure out what makes this such a close-knit, family type group and I just can't figure it out.

Thanks,
Robert

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's terrific. I was just trying to explain this mentality to my wife yesterday, and this is a good example of what makes CPF a community, not just a forum.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good BRIGHT!

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

"It's seldom just about the technology - it's about the COMMUNITY."

One of the great quotes from someone I've worked with. Lights are lights, and they can be great lights, but it's the community that makes them extra special.

The integrity that I've seen here, in so many forms, has left a very deep impression on me. It's a reminder that there is still good left in the world today.

And the best part? You get it all year round, not just limited to Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Latest posts