How do you rate the PILA Torches ??

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
i've got a G3, and i love it. it's my EDBC (every day backpack carry)
for the money, it beats the comparable surefire that my buddy has (i think it's a 9p?)

my only regret is i did not purchase the rechargeable version, to paraphrase someone else on the board:

i don't get to experience guilt free lumens /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
I have 2 GL4's and the GL3X I am very happy with them,built like a brick the leds in the tailcap do come in handy at times. Some find them a little heavy but so is a brick I will get a GL3 someday not anytime soon but its on my wish list. Yellow1 get a charger and 2 150a Pila cells and be guilt free.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Pilas are underrated. They have great fit and finish, rivaling Surefire, and the rechargeable options are great. I want a GL3R, but my cash-flow gets constantly diverted. The LED tailcap is fun and functional, but isn't perfect. A solid quality torch, but not light.
daloosh

pondhockey

Newly Enlightened
My GL4 is one of my favorite lights.
If you figure in quality to price ratio, it's
by far the best value light I have.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
Yellow,

Since you have a G3 you can simply purchase Pila rechargeable batteries and a charger to upgrade it to a G3R version. The great thing about the G3 is that it runs on a 9V lamp so you can interchange CR123 or Pila Li-ion rechargeables freely without any damage to the lamp.

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com
Authorized Pila Dealer

greenLED

Flashaholic
My only experience with a Pila is with the GL3 in this passaround. I can tell you, it is a strongly-built light! The GL3 is the first 3x123 batt light I used, and I was very impressed. It's a bit large for pocket-EDC, but the GL2 is smaller. I like the Pila finish much better than the Surefires (less "rugged", if I may). The machining is great, and they feel very solid in your hand. From my experience with the GL3 I can certainly recommend the GL2. Using it with the reachargeable batts will give you lots of "guilt-free-lumens"!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pilas are great lights, period. The funny thing about all the "heavy" comments, is that they are really comparing the Pila to something like Surefire weights. They are heavier than SF, that's true. But we're not talking 2D Maglite, either. A few ounces is all. I have a GL3R and love it.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a GL4R on duty every day(night) the long run time is a fantastic thing for me. After almost 30 months of daily hard use my batteries are beginning to show signs of needing to be replaced. I had to replace one lamp in 2 years . I am very pleased with the line and have purchased the GL2R/GL3X/GL3R as well.

I think they aare very nice incans

PhantomZ

Enlightened
mine is the Wolf-Eyes M90 rattlesnake which is basicly the same as the Pila GL4R. use to carry it in my back pack all the time. great light. you'll have to watch out if you get one with the LED tailcap cause once either one of them breaks, neither would work. i learned that when i blew my bulb the very first day i got it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
The funny thing about all the "heavy" comments, is that they are really comparing the Pila to something like Surefire weights. They are heavier than SF, that's true. But we're not talking 2D Maglite, either. A few ounces is all. I have a GL3R and love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I commented on the light feeling "solid" (not heavy) in my hand. I'm used to 2 cell lights and thought handling a 3-cell light would be awkward. Not so, the GL3 is perfectly balanced! I think people should pay more attention to them.

BugOutGear_USA

Enlightened
The Pila lamps have no advertised lamp life, but I can tell you that we have been "demo'ing" these for the last year and I have yet to replace a bulb in any of the models. I would say that our demos go through much more than the average user. We have dropped them on many occasions as well and they handled the impact without any bulb damage.

If you get the GL3X you will get the LED tailcap and pushbutton or you can just purchase an additional pushbutton seperately.(GL3/GL4 only)

Regards,
Flavio
BugOutGearUSA.com
Authorized Pila Dealer

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lamps are really well made. I needed to replace mine after over 2 years of use and I used my light a lot.

wish they made a nice Luxeon head for the lights, I would love a 3w lux for my GL3R or GL3X

yellow1

Newly Enlightened
i've gone through many a set of batteries in my torch, and haven't had lamp damage yet. reflector damage... that's a different story.

this is after i used the light as a makeshift hammer, dropped it a few dozen times, and gave it to my niece to play with. (surprisingly, she's not a clumsy oaf like i am)

i'll post pics of the shattered reflector if you're interested.

jtice

Flashaholic
I have a GL3 and like it alot.
Its alittle on the heavy side, but made really well.
LOT of light, and fairly white for an incan.
Not a super thrower, more of a nice semi tight flood beam.

Runs real well on Pila batts, whats nice is, on the Pilas, the output is very flat over the runtime, and then just shuts down.