alkalines in SL Jr (or boosted lights) & cold.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed this year at the end of summer at night, that my SL Jr I keep in my car would turn on, but when turned off and back on again briefly, like when signaling, it would not light!! At first I though oh great it broke!! But then 4 secs later it came on. I was puzzled a bit until I realized that it was alkalines (fresh mind you) that were too cold to operate at enough (voltage? current?) to start up the boost circuit.

I took some NiMH 1800 durcells that were ran down decently from my 5W green, popped them in, and even at a lower voltage (2.4), the light came on every tiem! Even now at 10 degrees F in winter the same batteries start up without a hick-up. I haven't charged them at all in probably 5 months.

Now in DD lights you don't have this problem of the light not starting, but the light won't be super bright until the batteries warm up, but that shouldn't take long, so it's not much of an issue.

But for any of you running boosted lights (circuits) that don't run on lithiums, NiMH is a very good alternative. Alkalines aren't recommeded by me, especially in a tactical enviroment. You don't want a delay for your light to come on!!

Now I'm thinking about getting NiMH D's for my upcoming tri-luxIII flashlight. Alks cause the light output to drop too fast for me. Plus it will power it at a full 3amps! For instance, my 6AA 5W Green, using alks will be bright for maybe 5-10mins before it looses it's "insanely" brightness. On NiMH, it stays that way or pretty close to it for 5x at least as long. Also take note it is resistored and only pulls 700ma from NiMH or Alks, so the Alk's aren't being stressed too much, and both batteries have the same draw. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can anyone recommend a cheap source (S/H accounted for) to get 3 decent NiMH D's and a cheap charger? And what capcity do you recommend? I don't need top of the line...

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
My alkaline lights don't live in the car over the winter. What is living there now is an Inova X5 with lithium AAs and a Nuwai ALX-032, running CR123s - very cool light, and a good deal. The SL JR Lux lives in my winter jacket inside breast pocket, so it stays warm.

Of course, there is always a SF L4 and my new QIII somewhere on my person, just in case I get seperated from the car and have to floodlight something - you never know...

I was once in a restroom at work when the outside transformer blew up, and the emergency lights failed to come on. There I was, stuck in the john in pitch blackness until a guard came by with his Eveready 79-cent flashlight - oh, the embarassment. Never again!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FLASHLIGHTMAN

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MikeLip said:

I was once in a restroom at work when the outside transformer blew up, and the emergency lights failed to come on. There I was, stuck in the john in pitch blackness until a guard came by with his Eveready 79-cent flashlight - oh, the embarrassment. Never again!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about being /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif "CAUGHT WITH YOUR PANTS DOWN!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Kinda reminds me of a time when I was really small and had to take a leak in a pitch dark toilet because the lights had gone out.

Guess that's also the reason why the U2's got a lanyard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smoker5.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use NiMH in all my Boosted Flashlights, Longbow ECO,
EL-XM3, Jaycar 1w 2aa, MXDL 3watt Luxeon 3aaa Flashlight,
EL Hyper-Blaster 3w 2 D cell, Promagnum 2D cell.
And have never had a problem even when I took those
lights to the snow. It is also a more cost effective option
as compaired to Alkalines