Custom leather sheath for Lionheart

Status
Not open for further replies.

garsea

Newly Enlightened
A while back someone posted some pics of a custom leather sheath they had made for the LH. I can't find the post and was wondering who it was and if they are going to be for sale. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks, Gary

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was Britt (BC0311) and the post is on THIS page. I've seen some pics of some other holsters from the guy that is making these and they look like very high quality holsters.

garsea

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the link but I was sure there was a pic of the leather sheath in the post that I remember seeing. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes open for BC0311's thread when he puts them up for sale.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Garsea, I just now found out that my account with my image server expired today and it was wiped clean. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I'll be happy to send you some photos if you PM me your email address.

I think I may have the first 5-6 sheaths by the middle of January and will photograph them and post them on this forum.

I talked with the sheathmaker and will talk to him again this Friday. Everything is moving ahead well. He's excited about the LH and that makes him excited about the sheaths...which is good.

The lightweight, trim sheath for urban wear is called The Urban Prowler and the beefy, heavy service sheath is called The Duty.

Both will use premium, veggie tanned, drum-dyed, cowhide. Snaps will be nickel plated brass. The leather color will be black. Everything is done by one man. He cuts the leather with a knife not with a saw or machine cutter.

Both sheaths will accommodate the LH with the 150A tube and with the 168A tube. The bottom of the male portion of the snaps (inside the sheath pocket) will be covered with leather so your light won't get scratched.

I've ordered 20 Urban Prowlers and 5 Dutys but all of them won't go up for sale on CPF. I'll post photos, details and prices here on H&M before I actually put them up for sale on C&M B/S/T.

I don't know what they will cost me yet. It depends on how much difficulty and time it takes for Ron to make them. But, I think the prices will be in the ballpark of $45-50 for the Urban Prowler and $70-75 for the Duty. Plus shipping.

We'll see if I sell them all and see where it goes from there. I don't have the temperament to be a regular seller of anything here, too many troublemakers anymore. So, after the initial offering is sold and I've recouped my money, Ron will make them custom order for individuals directly.

Some have written him already and he told them to be patient, which is anathema to many of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But, he won't sell any LH sheaths without my go ahead, and I don't want anything to interfere with my getting my order as soon as possible. After all, he's using one of my LHs for patterning and molding. He'll make a slug from my LH and use that for others who order the sheaths. He already has a slug (lathed by Chop) for the VIP. The VIP sheath will fit the LH as well as the LH with the 168A tube.

However it's an over-engineered sheath to my specs for hard use in the bush. I think the Duty will be best for LEOs and others who want something heavy duty and the Prowler will be more desirable for most others.

I am having a custom sheath made from black-dyed, suede leather for myself. We'll see how it turns out and I'll post about it and others can order it direct from Ron as well.

I'm waiting to see how the LH logo stamp works in black-dyed leather...should know this week.

I also asked him to make up 4 spare battery belt pouches with this order. 2 for the 150A and 2 for the 168A. We'll see how they turn out and that will be another accessory that people can order. They'll match the sheaths and have a snap secured flap.

We explored sheaths (holsters really) with an attached or combined spare battery pocket and neither of us were happy with it. It seriously complicates things with his designs and build procedures. We'd have to charge double or more, so we nixed the idea.

But, there are times when I would very much like to have a spare battery securely mounted on my belt next to my flashlight. Most of the time, I would never need it though.

Britt

PS: I will be abroad as of this Saturday and won't be able to reply or answer PMs or emails after Friday. When I get back I should have the first batch of sheaths etc.

Merry Christmas

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll have to see photos to decide, but if the Duty's REALLY heavy duty, then it may be worth it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

diggdug13

Flashlight Enthusiast
will both versions fit the extension? either way I'm in put me down

garsea

Newly Enlightened
Great reply Britt. You answered everyone of the questions I had in my head. I really like the spare battery idea and I was also wondering about the combined idea, but I guess it really would be too bulky. I will PM you with my email. Gary

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, every sheath will accommodate the LH with either the 150A (stock) tube or the 168A (optional) tube.

The flap which secures the light in the sheath and protects the lens will have two (2) female snaps. The sheath pocket has one male snap. If you use the upper female snap to secure the sheath it will add ~0.75" and thus the LH with 168A will fit fine.

I've been using my VIP sheath (Bushwhacker) for my LH with both battery tubes and am happy how this turned out. I've had no accidental activations of the switch and the light stays in the exact position I place it in so that the switch is always oriented to fall right under my thumb when I draw the light.

Originally, I was planning on lens down carry, but with the side switch lens up works much better. Very little repositioning of the light is required for it to be in your hand the way you would use it.

I'll get my image server renewed and try to get some photos of some sheaths up here so that you get an idea. The actual LH sheath photos are a ways off yet.

Thanks to all of you for your interest and enthusiasm.

Yep, I'm in too. I actually ordered a custom leather sheath from this same guy (thanks to Britt) and it is just awesome. I had it made for my VIP with stock head and twisty. Perfect. I'll post photos later. Anyway, this guy's stuff is as good as it gets, believe me.

[ QUOTE ]
arewethereyetdad said:
Yep, I'm in too. I actually ordered a custom leather sheath from this same guy (thanks to Britt) and it is just awesome. I had it made for my VIP with stock head and twisty. Perfect. I'll post photos later. Anyway, this guy's stuff is as good as it gets, believe me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a photo of my custom leather sheath from Britt's buddy. As you can see, the quality is second-to-none. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VIP_Leather_Sheath.jpg

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
If possible, since I am soon to be a VIP (with twisty and clicky)owner, I'd be interested in one for the VIP as well.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's great, Troy! Very happy to hear you got it. That is a pro's sheath. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Very cool how you got it fit for the Twisty tailcap. Custom costs more, but not that much more and you can get it just like you want it...most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm amazed at how well a good leather sheath protects my best lights. I carried one of Don's 2x123 Super L1s for a year all over the place, the sheath is beat to hell, but the light (which I sold recently) is in excellent cosmetic and perfect operational condition.

I've been carrying the VIP for several months with the same results. On this next trip I'll be taking the VIP/BH and the LH with the 168A tube.

Thanks for putting up the photo.

Britt

Britt, thanks. I'm still laughing about your lost photo server. Your avatar is hysterical. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Seriously, I hope this photo helps, because Ron's work truly is excellent. Thanks for giving me the info. I'm very happy with that sheath and look forward to getting one through you for the LionHeart. Take care, my friend. Merry Christmas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/santa.gif

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Britt - just for the record, is it only the snap area that's lined, or is the inside of the flap lined too, to protect against any rough leather touching or scratching anything on the lens end? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Either way, as soon as you get photos... well, this'll look good and work great, I expect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haesslich, the entire inside of the pocket is lined with suede leather. The flap won't be lined on the sheaths I've ordered. I haven't found it necessary and it runs the price up quite a bit.

You will be able to custom order a sheath that is fully lined including the flap direct from Ron before long.

[ QUOTE ]
Haesslich said:
Britt - just for the record, is it only the snap area that's lined, or is the inside of the flap lined too, to protect against any rough leather touching or scratching anything on the lens end? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Either way, as soon as you get photos... well, this'll look good and work great, I expect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, on mine (pictured above), which was a custom job, only the area behind the snap was lined with suede. Sounds like Britt's will be even nicer with the entire pocket lined. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.