• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired MJLED - IMPORTANT UPDATE PLEASE READ PAGE 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
See post later in thread for details

Here's a new link to the MJLED web page with a link to updated installation, alignment and use instructions.

Yes, the thread title is correct, a great LED mod for under $10.00!

Michael Jordan (ArcMania) does it again! What? Another last second basket to win a game? No, but he's really put together a slam dunk with this latest LED mod for beginners and old timers alike.

Introducing the MJLED - The most efficient LED available today.

mjled.jpg

ArcMania has modified these new hi-power, super efficient large die 5mm LEDs to function as side emitters for use in flashlights with reflectors. These are a direct plug in replacement for the bi-pin incandescent lamps used in popular two cell flashlights. Simply remove the stock incandescent bulb, replace it with an MJLED and either drill out the reflector opening to 0.25 inch, or swap the reflector with a pre-drilled one from the complete MJLED Kit. That's all there is to perform this modification to a flashlight.

Sound too good to be true? Well it's not, and we haven't told you about the best part yet; the performance.

How does a 35 hour+ run time sound?

mjrun.jpg

Note the initial illumination level of 180 Lux at one meter is about what the first Arc Luxeon flashlights produced. But unlike the power hungry Luxeon LEDs, the MJLED needs much less power to produce the same level of light which results in a very long battery life. Heck, it's still turning out about 120 Lux after 24 hours continuous use.

In addition to the very long battery life, the color tint of these LEDs is much better and consistent than Luxeon LEDs. No more "Luxeon Lotto" hoping you don't get a dirty green tint. All the MJLEDs produce a very white light with a slight blue tint, closely resembling a Luxeon BIN Y0 color temperature. And the special ground and polished lens produces a smooth, bright beam with consistent tint.

While this isn't a super bright mod that will get "oohs and ahs" from your friends, this is one flashlight mod nobody should be without. The 180 Lux light level produced is perfect for walking trails while preserving most of your natural night vision. The reflected illumination from the trail won't rob you of your natural night vision, yet it's bright enough to light a pathway to easily see obstacles on and off the trail. There's also plenty of light for tasks such as looking behind the stereo to locate a jack to plug a cable into and other similar common tasks.

This mod does require the use of Energizer AA or AAA lithium cells for best performance, but alkaline cells can also be used with lesser performance.

Examples of MJLED modifications:

Here's a MiniMag 2AA flashlight that's been modified with an MJLED.

mjled2.jpg

The MJLED plugs in place of the stock light bulb.

mjled3.jpg

Here's a respectable 'light saber' beam shot against the wall.

mjled4.jpg

And at tightest focus from about six feet (2 meters).

Note: Regular incandescent room lighting was on when these photos were taken

Here's a MiniMag 2AAA flashlight that's been modified with an MJLED.

mjled01.jpg

Yes, it's finally possible to mod the 2AAA MiniMag!

mjled03.jpg

In a snap you transform it in to a bright LED flashlight with a very long run time.

mjled04.jpg

While we didn't have any lithium AAA cells on hand to test with, the recently released AAA lithium cells should provide a big boost in performance over the alkaline cells used for these photos. (Lithium runtime coming soon)

Features Summary:

35 Hour+ run time on 2 Energizer lithium AA cells
180 Lux typical at one meter
Easy, "anybody can do it" simple installation

When supplied with lithium AA cells, this makes one of the longest burning emergency lights with a 10 year shelf storage life. Never be left in the dark again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ordering Information:

MJLED - $5.00 Please add $1.00 for shipping (US & Canada - up to limit of 5 MJLEDs) International Orders add $4.00
* MJLED only; you must drill the reflector opening out to 0.25 inch for use with the MJLED

MJLED KIT - $10.00 price includes shipping (US & Canada - limit of 5 kits) International Orders add $4.00
* Everything you need to perform the modification in a snap. Includes an MJLED, pre-drilled reflector and mineral glass front window. Just swap the parts out with the stock ones and you're done in a few minutes. For use with MiniMag 2AA flashlights.

Got an old AA MiniMag you'd like to convert but the switch is broken? No problem, we have MiniMag AA replacement switches available for $1.00 when placing an order for an MJLED.

Send PayPal to [email protected]

Email [email protected] for other payment methods

NOTE: Orders will start shipping 05 Jan 2005, early orders ship first !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJLED Specifications:

100mA maximum input current
3.0 to 3.6 V optimal operating range
Precision ground and polished custom optic
Reverse polarity protected

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: MJLED - Plugin LED Mod Under $10.00 !!!!

Very cool! Sending a paypal for 2 kits.

Edit: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif

Raybo

Enlightened

Super long run time,I like it.............PP sent.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

PP sent for 5 LEDs. ($26- my interpretation that that shipping isn't a "profit center." (Please publicly correct me if I got it wrong!)) Thanks Lambda and Mike!

Larry

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast

PP sent for one MJLED KIT and one MiniMag AA replacement switch.

Thanks lambda and ArcMania for making and offering these.

mut

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice... I want at least one. I'll send PayPal when I get home tonight. If you drill out your own reflector can you still use the stock lens?

-Mike

skr

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif for 2 MJLEDs

brook

Newly Enlightened

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif
I'm in for 3 MJLEDs
PM and PP sent

Thank you

chasm22

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for 1 kit.

Thanks

Amorphous

Enlightened

I'll like 2 MJLED KITs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

WOW! Never bought a M*g before. I guess I will buy a AAA Kit and AA Kit! Thanks...

For two Kits Please!

spica

Newly Enlightened

Non cc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/paypal.gif for three (3) kits. -spica

maninblack

Newly Enlightened

Paypal sent for 2 mjleds plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.