Inova T3 and IO3

Flashlighter

Newly Enlightened
Both are seemingly the same light, yet the reviews at FlashlightReviews.com there does seem to be a slight difference in output. Is this difference significant or does it fall within the tolerance that's normal between different versions of the same models?

I also recently purchased a Surefire G2 and noted it had a higher "throw" rating than the T3. Since I'm giving a lot of tactical flashlights as gifts to women for defensive use (stun, slam and run) in mall parking lots and other dark areas, I can't believe the G2 is initially brighter. I've compared them side by side and can see (or used to, anyway) that the Inova is significantly brighter. It has a lumen rating of 85 compared to the G2's 65. So what measurement would be useful for comparing the "stun" effect of a flashlight at night?

I've recently started collecting flashlights and am amazed that most of these LED tactical lights are primarily available through the Internet. I went into a Target not too long ago and they were still selling the plastic flashlights with the magnets on the sides!

Flashlighter

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Inova T3 and O3

Long ago I posted a same thread. I will repeat the response in the best way I remember it. The Inova T3 and XO3 are basically the same light except for the fact that the T3 has knurling and a clicky while the XO3 has flat sides wiht momentary and twist for constant on. T3 has HA III. XO3 doesnt.

Flashlighter

Newly Enlightened

Well, I'm ticked because I ordered an XO3 from Botach and stipulated that I wanted a brushed stainless looking finish. They immediately sent me a blue one. I prefer the T3, I think, but having never seen the XO3, I bought it because it had the nylon sheath. I also like the light finish rather than the blue anodized.

I don't think I'm going to like the flat sides very much, either. My T3 will twist on and it has a switch on the back, but I don't think it's a toggle.

But thanks for the feedback. Which light do you have and what is the advantage of HA III?

Flashlighter

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dont have either, sorry. HA III is a much harder finish than the standard type 2 adonizing on commonly found alluminum lights like a mag (cant stop critisizing them). SureFire uses it on most of their lights. In short, it is much more durable, tough, and can survive falls and abuse. Not that it doesnt get scratches at all, but much more durable than type 2 adonize.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both a XO3 and a T3, and the light output looks identical to me, noth in brightness and geometry. The (really slight) difference in Quickbeam's measurements can easiyl be explained with differences within the LEDs and alignment of the optics of the two measured lights.

If you compare two lights side by side, the tint differences easily fool your brighness appearence. The human eye is a marvelous image producer, but a lousy measurement device. Especially when you compare incans with LEDs, the (usually) yellow appearance of incans lets you underestimate their brightness. You really need a lightmeter to compare brightness.

When it comes to the "stun-effect" (which may or may not exist, at least in the brightness levels we're talking about), I think that the simple "higher than 60 lumens" rule is too simple since it doesn't involve the beam geometry. There are lights with less overall output and high throw out there which would generate more light if you hit the eyes of your attacker. Then again, it's easier to hit the eyes with a good bright flood light than a needle beam.

JML

Enlightened
The Inova lights are hard anodized, HA-III, but the finish layer is not as thick as many other lights, such as SureFire. The finish is NOT HA-I or HA-II. The matte finish is the clue.

Flashlighter

Newly Enlightened
So you're saying that all Inova lights are HA-III, including the XO3? Haven't seen one yet, but the photos make the matte finish look a bit butt ugly. If I'm wrong, I'll post an apology. Being new to this board, I don't reckon you can post photos here, right?

As far as brightness, elgarak, you sound right on. Two identical firearms can shoot quite differently. But the good thing about firearms is that Mags make excellent targets!

Thanks for the input! (Or should I say output?)

Flashlighter

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Flashlighter said:
So you're saying that all Inova lights are HA-III, including the XO3? Haven't seen one yet, but the photos make the matte finish look a bit butt ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. I own a T1 and a T3, as well as an X1. I think the finish on all of them is quite nice.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think that the X series has HA III. Taht is why I excluded the XO3 from the HA III list. Is it true though that the XO3 is advertised as HA III?

Latest posts