Arc LS and rechargeable CR123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I currently have a disassembled LS which I'm planning to mod with a TWOK. Since the vf range is from 3.5 to 3.75, I was thinking that a rechargeable li-ion cell would be perfect but is there any other component on the board that may not be able to take the higher voltage.

Thanks.

ZuluWhiskeyFox

Enlightened
This topic has been touched upon in the past and the K vf is generally accepted as being able to handle the voltage. Might be overdriven a bit. An other thought you might consider is the fact that the board will likely still run fine at a battery voltages that is lower than safe for the health of the battery. Unless of course your using protected cells. Just a thought.

cheers,
zwf

cgpeanut

Enlightened
Billson,

I've been been running R123's from slavin4u.com for quite some time with stock arc-ls boards no problems. DJPARK posted a design and HOWTO so you can make your own rechargeable based on the LT4054. slavin4u cells are not protected.

Heck, I even went to far as to make my own board using AA li-ons runs a bit longer than the R123's and at 4.7volts, I'm also using stock arc-ls boards on AA li-ons TWOK@500mA no problems! nice and bright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

arc-aa-1.jpg

arc-aa-2.jpg

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I wasn't worried about the led since there is certain to be voltage sag at 667ma or higher which is the current I'm planning to run it at. My concern is whether there are components on the board itself that may not be able to handle it.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Billson:

Last night I popped one of the rechargeable li-ion's from JSBurly in my ARC LS 1st run and it ran perfectly. Open circuit voltage was about 3.7 v. YMMV of course.

cy

Flashaholic
I concurr with cgpeanuts. my experience running R123 bare and protected has been great.

If you are worried about hurting your ARC LS, go with the JSB 3V R123's. The early 3V cells don't do real well with large loads (1.5amp+), but seems to work excellent in ARC LS's.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys mine says it is a P3J do you think it could handle the 4.02v or 4.2v rechargeables?

Thanks
mut

knifebright

Enlightened
I've also had much success running my arc ls on 4.2volt r123's with a twoj emmitter. I've biased it at 667 and i measure a consistant .30 volt voltage sag at the battery.
jimmy

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
My stock Arc LSHP (I do not know the bin of the emitter) takes rechargeables. It draws 520 mA at 3.0 V, and 450 mA at 3.7 Volt from a JSB123.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.