Cure for loose tail switches on Gerber Sonics?

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened
Any way to tighten up the tail switches on the Sonics. I purchased some for gifts this christmas but I am afraid they will work loose.

Would a thicker O ring do the trick? Where do you get these? I'm gonna try home Depot but just thought I'd ask if I can't find em.

Or is there another solution I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Dan

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in a cure for a tail switch that has stopped working. When I tighten it down, I tend to get nothing or a flickering light. I have to unscrew it completely, then reattach it to get anything usually.
Any thoughts?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
bookimdano,

I've read that some of the guys use teflon tape on the threads to tighten them up, another said to peen (slightly damage) the threads.

lahjik,

I think your light needs cleaning. Clean the threads with alcohol and a Q-Tip and see if that fixes it.

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened
I found a solution that works pretty well: Go to Lowe's and in the plumbing department get a #5 o-ring. Take the existing o-ring off the Sonic and slip the #5 on. It will be too thick so you will have to shave it down with a razor blade. Leave the o-ring thick enough to give you a little resistance.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
bookimdano said:
I found a solution that works pretty well: Go to Lowe's and in the plumbing department get a #5 o-ring. Take the existing o-ring off the Sonic and slip the #5 on. It will be too thick so you will have to shave it down with a razor blade. Leave the o-ring thick enough to give you a little resistance.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you go this route, I've had good results sanding down o-rings with a emery board. I haven't done this with Sonics, but it worked on the rev.1 FireFlys. This sounds like a good fix to me.

bookimdano

Newly Enlightened
Good idea! Using a razor blade leaves it a little uneven. I'm sure using an emory board will do a better job.

Dan