Tips for cleaning / maintaining your flashlight?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
After lurking on these forums for a couple of weeks trying to decide on a flashlight to get, I picked up a Pelican M6 (Incandescent) at a local retail store and so far, I have been very pleased with it.

But, having paid $60 for it (a drop in the bucket compared to what some of the flashaholics on this site have spent on their goodies, I am sure, but being a newbie I had a hard time justifying it to myself at the time) I want to know what is the best way to make sure my investment does not go bye-bye after a few months. So...

I have some Puretronics Contact Cleaner and ProGold G5 Connector Enhancer that I use when I muck around with computers. Is this stuff okay to use for keeping the flashlight electronics clean? I would suspect the answer is 'yes' but I want to be sure...

Also, can someone please recommend what sort of lubricant to use for the threads and O-rings?

If anyone can offer any more tips for proper care, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

fivebyfive

Enlightened
After doing some reading myself, most people recommend using silicone lubricant. It won't crack or deteriorate your rubber o-rings like other lubricants. As for your other question, I'm clueless.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really have no idea, personally I just wipe the threads clean with a klenx (the black stuff seems to build up for some reason) and put a tiny amount of silican lube onto the o-rings.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Howdy Deranged_Coder! Good choice on a first light - I did the exact same thing a year ago. I'd think the nyogel lubricant they recommend for surefire's would work well on any aluminum light. I think the stuff you want is nyogel 759G, which is conductive.

omega

Newly Enlightened
deranged_coder ,

Make sure your PM6 doesn't stay under water too long. I played with mine in a swimmming pool... and that's how i ruined my first lamp assembly. :p

If you have the cordura holster, don't squeeze / crush the bottom portion (the one with the plastic ring thingie which prevents your flashlight from accidentally activating while inside). It's brittle and breaks quite easily.

I use silicone grease to lube the threads and kleenex to wipe the metallic dust that tends to accumulate there. Aside from that, it's a pretty low maintenance light.

-Omega