Best Luxeon Thrower

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is best-throwing luxeon light, preferably off the shelf (not mod), and preferably under $100 ($150 tops). Don't care about spill. Would prefer non-CR123, but mind is open on that.

Thanks

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some reason it needs to be led? you can get much brighter for much less, with much better throw in the incan department. Most of these are "mods" but all they really involve is takeing out one bulb, putting in another, and sticking different battiers into the light.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I actually started out with one of the best small incan throwers, a pelican M6, and was disappointed not only with the run time but with the color and overall "look" of the beam, compared to luxeons. I do like that beautiful "moonlight" look of the latter, and runtime is usually better, too.

That said, I guess I should keep my mind open. What do you recommend?

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want much more throw then the Pelican M6 your going to have to go to a larger light, and if you want alot more throw, maybe even a spotlight does this light need to be portable? Im guessing it would be carried at least some of the time so something like the thor 10 million cp spot light is out of the question. Some of the 2C to 3x123s mods will throw, and every 2 c to 4x123 i know of will most definity throw.

for portable throw in an led light, I reccomend either building your own space needle 2 (a moderatly difficult mod) or getting an alpha 3 (about $200)

I personally dont have a pelican M6, but from my experiance a spimple mag 2 c, with a kpr118 (about 1.29 at radio shack) will out throw every other light I have.

Edit: i have heard very good things about the Tri-Star phazer and its cheaper then all the other lights i mentioned except the mag mod.

CQB

Enlightened
best non-mod luxeon thrower in my collection is ElektroLumens' C-model TriStarPhaser.

Uses 3 x LuxIII leds w/ optics ( no reflector). Easily out-throws many of the other luxeons (and incans) out there.

Has a very nice hotspot - larger than most. GOod thing you are not concerned with spill - the TSP's beam lacks good spill.

The hotspot is truly its strongpoint. RUns off of 4xC batts. IIRC the price is approx $100 USD, give or take.

The TSP is NOT a pocketable EDC FL of course. I wear mine in either a C/D Mag ring, or a holster.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
No mods, rats...
I coulda helped ya out pardner.
The Led Museum just did a review of one of mine.
It survived. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Or, just build one yourself.
It's not extremely hard to.
Check out my Dec. sigline below.

MrBenchmark

Enlightened
Inova XO3/T3? It isn't as bright, nor throw as far as a PM6, (I have both), but it has 2 hours of regulated runtime, it's quite bright, and it really throws for an LED. And it's under $100. I don't know what you are doing or how much range you've needed, but it's worked well for me.

edison

Enlightened
I have a similar thread running here. I'm also looking for a LED thrower, and I found this page helpful. For my application, I've become interested in the Tektite TAC4L . Unfortunately, nobody here seems to know much about it.

Since you prefer a non-123 powered light I'd have to recommend something from Elektro Lumens. Either the Phazer or one of the Blasters. Do you want something similar in size to your PM6? If so, you're probably stuck using 123s.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova looks like the better move for back pocket carry.
Unless you have a beltloop ring like I use at work to backpocket carry my 3c cell maggmod light with.

rasserie

Newly Enlightened
nione knows what is the bin code used for most of the blasters? and how to find out the bin code on the PCB mount on a luxeon used by blaster 3Ps?

thanks

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used the EL-Blasters in the past they do throw very well, they are very well made LED Flashlights for around
fifty bucks.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens FT3C or Blaster Jr (with a 3watt luxeon) will give you a good amount of throw and fit in your back pocket.

after those lights, you could look @ the Streamlight 2L Tasklight luxeon (also has a low mode), the LED Xtreme Predator and then the Inova T3. they all throw pretty well for such small lights.

wintermute

Enlightened
I have a FT3-C with both the 27mm reflector, and the 30mm optics. The 30mm optic delivers great throw, and the 27mm throw isn't bad eaither. But purely for throw, go for the 30mm optics.

gessner17

Enlightened
I have a Tektite LS4 and it seems to be the best thrower I have ever seen (LED). It is a single 3 watt, very nice light.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
AFAustin said:
3rd Shift: Have anything a bit smaller? Don't need EDC size, but needs to be capable of being carried in back pocket of jeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much smaller than this?

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00193.jpg

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd shift, you seem to have a decent digital camera, could you take a beamshot of the standard mag 3C vs. one of your modded mag 3Cs at a decent distance? Maybe 100 yards?

Latest posts